30 Whole30-Friendly Recipes

whole30

Are you taking on the Whole30 for the new year? (If you have no idea what I mean when I say “Whole30,” head on over here for details.) Maybe you’re just ready to clean up your eating habits and eat some tasty food without grains, dairy, legumes, sugar, and other stuff that makes you feel less an awesome.

Here are 30 recipes from some of my favorite paleo food bloggers — delicious ideas for everything from soups and main dishes to sides and salads to keep you inspired in the kitchen. I’ve checked the ingredients lists to make sure they’re compliant with the Whole30 guidelines — just be sure if a recipe calls for butter that you use ghee or coconut oil and make sure your bacon and lunch meats don’t contain sugar or other added junk.

Hugs of thanks to the paleo bloggers who dug through their archives to serve up their Whole30-friendly recipes to share:
The Domestic Man
Nom Nom Paleo
Paleo Comfort Foods
The Paleo Parents
Rubies and Radishes
Sustainable Dish
Stupid Easy Paleo
Summer Innanen
Yes To Yummy

Happy cooking! Happy 2014!

hr_brown1
30 Whole30-Approved Recipes, In No Particular Order

comfortnoodles1. Comfort NoodlesThe Clothes Make The Girl

liverandonions-e13342607441362. Beef Liver with Parsley-Onions & LemonThe Clothes Make The Girl

finalfries3. Crispy Oven-Baked Sweet Potato FriesThe Clothes Make The Girl

potroast12. Crock Pot Mocha-Rubbed Pot Roast Stupid Easy Paleo

puercopibi13. Crock Pot Puerco PibilStupid Easy Paleo

Blueberry Muffins14. Creamy Tomato SoupPaleo Comfort Foods

chickenthighs15. Crispy Chicken with Peppery Pesto Paleo Comfort Foods

damnfinechicken16. Damn Fine ChickenNom Nom Paleo

asianmeatballs17. Asian MeatballsNom Nom Paleo

bolognese18. Spaghetti Squash BologneseYes To Yummy (omit wine!)

sweetpotatosalad19. Sweet Potato Salad with Bacon VinaigretteSummer Innanen

turkeymuffins20. Turkey Blueberry Muffins Summer Innanen

minieggpizzas21. Mini Egg PizzasThe Paleo Parents

Apple-Bacon-Stuffed-Pork-Chops-222. Apple and Bacon Stuffed Pork ChopsThe Paleo Parents

kaluapig23. Kalua  PigNom Nom Paleo

cabbagestirfry24. Garbage Stir-Fry with Curried CabbageNom Nom Paleo

kalesausagebake25. Kale & Sausage BakeSummer Innanen

Slow-Cooker-Pot-au-feu26. Slow Cooker Pot-au-feuRubies and Radishes

chickenbroth27. Slow Cooker Chicken Broth Rubies and Radishes

homemade-coconut-milk-1024x682128. Homemade Coconut MilkRubies and Radishes

indianrice29. Indian Pineapple Cauliflower RiceStupid Easy Paleo

cevapcici30. Ćevapčići and AjvarThe Clothes Make The Girl

hr_brown1

Well Fed Cookbooks

Just in case you need more meal ideas, recipes, and kitchen inspiration, both of my cookbooks are packed with Whole30-approved recipes — as well as tons of helpful tips for minimizing your time in the kitchen while maximizing flavor. Between the two books, there are more than 250 recipes and only 3 of them are not approved for use during the Whole30.

wellfed_covers

Well Fed: Paleo Recipes For People Who Love To Eat: My cookbook of Whole30-approved recipes, including Hot Plates and tips for how to do a Weekly Cookup.

Well Fed 2: More Paleo Recipes For People Who Love To Eat: My second cookbook of Whole30-approved recipes, including 15 meatball recipes, 8 sauces to make with homemade mayo, and adaptations for the autoimmune protocol (AIP).

hr_brown1

21 Responses to “30 Whole30-Friendly Recipes”

1. […] Clothes Make The Girl / Posted on: January 01, 1970The Clothes Make The Girl – Are you taking on the Whole30 for the new year? (If you have no idea what I mean when I say […]

2. Lydia says:

Thanks, bb! I’m Whole30-ing it this month (which, for me, pretty much just means no wine on the weekends) and am considering doing a year-long Whole30 (with one day breaks between each). So recipe suggestions and reminders are SUPER appreciated!

3. Bree says:

I finally convinced my husband to do this one with me! We had your taj mahal chicken last night and it was fabulous! I got up this morning and put everything together for the slow cooker italian roast. This is not my first whole30, but Well Fed 2 is making this one so much easier!

4. Diannah Robertson says:

Sigh. Had planning on getting a lot done this morning. Instead, I had to spend it copying recipes to my computer recipe program.

Thanks for filling my morning with thoughts of wonderful food!! (And for doing the work of compiling these for us!!)

5. Susannah says:

Mel, you have been on FIRE with all these great posts! Not that you ever have ordinary posts, but wow! Thanks so much!

6. […] 30 Days of Whole30 Dinners here. And in case you need more good eats, Mel J. has pulled together 30 MORE recipes from top bloggers like Nom Nom Paleo, The Domestic Man, Paleo Parents and little ol’ […]

7. Mer says:

I went a bit nuts last week and made double batches of your sweet potato soup and gingered zucchini soup and my taste buds (and body!) are SO grateful. I froze the extra in ice cube trays and can eat portions of these tasty soups on-demand for the next couple of weeks!

So, so happy you produced these cookbooks, Mel, and are so willing to share recipes, tips and tricks!

Watch out, January Whole30! You’re going down!

8. Monika C says:

Super helpful! Thanks, Melissa!

9. Brittany says:

So, I’m pregnant and doing a Whole30, which is actually awesome for my (somewhat troublesome) stomach. I just wanted to say, thanks! I was jonesing hard for something creamy and comforting, so I made your Pad Thai recipe. It completely hit the spot. So much so that I actually ate it for dinner, breakfast, and then lunch. :-D I have yet to make something out of either of your cookbooks that I didn’t love, but that Pad Thai is the bee’s knees.

I’m so glad you like this list of recipes — they’re great, right?!

Sorry for the blanket response; I’m traveling and can’t answer each of you individually, but I read all the comments on my phone, and I’m so grateful for you taking the time to share your thoughts. Today, you were all at the beach with me in Mill Valley, CA :-)

11. Jo says:

Hi Mel! I’ve just been given ‘Well Fed’ for Christmas, and wanted to say – LOVE it! Question for ya…. When you do your weekly cook up, do you freeze any of the meat? I have always gone by the rule (no idea where I got this rule from BTW)that you only have cooked meat in the fridge for 3 days…. Your thoughts? and how long is it OK to keep Saute/steamed veges in the fridge for? Muchos Gracias! Jo :)

12. De23 says:

I’m starting another W30 tomorrow (Sunday), but I’m also dragging my Aunt (who has RA) along with me by cooking AIP for her for 30 days. The AIP Guide in WF2 is helping me tremendously with this! One question: for the Spinach Muffins in WF, is there an AIP-friendly binder I can use in place of the eggs?

13. Kathleen says:

I’m so excited cuz I just ordered Wellfed2 ! I appreciate all your work in developing these recipes.

14. […] you’re already following a Whole 30 plan, check out Melissa Joulwan’s listing of 30 Whole 30 recipes, including a few of my own from this blog and from my […]

15. Dana says:

Just made (and DEVOURED) the beef liver with onions. OMG it was so good. I used beef tallow for all the fat and it was silky and wonderful.

Spend the $$ for grass finished liver and you will never eat anything else again.

Thanks for another awesome recipe Melissa!

16. […] I’m in the midst of the Whole 30, this list of Whole 30 approved recipes really caught my eye. There are some delicious looking meals on there and one or two of them might […]

17. Kathleen Gill says:

Thank you Thank you!!! The Taj Mahal Chicken (over zuchinni noodles) FABULOUS!!!! The Pork Roast on page 132, made with Sunrise Spice- AMAZING!!!! I am not a great cook, but your books are making it easy!!! New to Paleo and Oh-So-Happy I bought your books!!! Can’t wait for Well Fed 3!!!

Oh! YAY! I’m so glad you like those recipes. And congratulations! You are now officially a successful cook. Thank you for buying our cookbooks!

18. Deb says:

so id heard about paleo and been kinda playing around with it, then recently read about whole 30 so started searching the internet for ideas, recipes, comments etc. i have to say your site is making me hungry. maybe i can do this!

19. Mishabc says:

Husband and I are on our 3rd day of our second attempt. Last attempt we just did plain meat and veggies. No exciting dishes at all (except one… Twice baked stuffed sweet potatoes… Amazing!). And I think that’s why we only lasted two weeks. This time around I’m determine to bring whole30 to life with attempting some/most of these recipes (among others on other sites). Is there a list of whole30 must haves anywhere? Like certain spices, sauces, condiments etc that are used a lot in whole30 dishes? I see coconut amines everywhere… Never heard of it. Just wish there was an easy list so I can purchase it all and be on my whole30 way

20. Deb says:

bought “it starts with food” and almost through it. start date set for july 13. (the day after i turn 58) will be visiting this site often!