Monday Motivation

Last week, I talked about the significant difference between “starting over” and “starting fresh.”

At Hatha Star yoga on Saturday, our instructor Kim read us a poem by Rumi, a 13th century Persian Muslim poet and Sufi mystic. (I know! So groovy!) It’s an eloquent reminder that continuing to strive, to try, to recommit is the surest path to our most valued and valuable selves.

So whether you’re recovering from an injury, weathering a personal crisis, going back to yoga, eating paleo (again), re-committing to sleeping enough, renewing your love of playing the piano or reading or painting or judo or cooking or stamp collecting or journaling or remembering to floss your teeth… whatever it is that you want to be doing, need to be doing, miss doing… come.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, worshipper, lover of leaving.
It doesn’t matter.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.
Come, even if you have broken your vow a hundred times.
Come, yet again, come, come. — Rumi

Tags:

14 Responses to “Monday Motivation”

1. Sarah says:

Your previous post inspired me to return to my very dusty blog. And, I really needed to read this today, thanks for sharing :)

2. Elisabeth says:

Rumi’s poem is modified into a song that can be sung in a round. Sung in lots of Unitarian Universalist churches. I’ve always loved it. Here’s an example from on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIxpzub18w
    Great Post!

3. Candice says:

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

4. Jacqui says:

Mel
    once again you take us by the hand and gently lead us down this thorny path. I am ever so grateful I found you. I went a wee bit crazy linking over to all the sites you posted on the Body Image post. It is tapping into a deep stream of change as I give up 10 years of Weight Watchers, weighing, measuring, on the scale, etc….and try to look at the food/fuel connection, understand “treats” not Cheats, and generally put a positive spin on me when I feel I am not “doing enough” or failing in some other way. I like starting fresh…it brings along all the lessons I have thus far learned…. Thank you. Please excuse the fawning <3

Best wishes to you, Jacqui. It can be really tough letting go of habits like Weight Watchers, the scale, etc. but you CAN do it. And leaning into the discomfort is the fastest, easiest way to get to the other side. Sending you all positive vibes.

5. Nelly says:

I want a vardo.

Closest I can get now is planning for a location-independent career and dreamily browsing teardrop trailers. But it’ll happen. That’s my vow: to finally follow the wanderlust.

6. Kate says:

Thank You. Namaste.

7. Melisa says:

Hello!
    I’ve been following your blog for some time now (love love love it!!) It’s these quaint little posts like this that help motivate and focus myself on what’s really important. I injured myself in June and it has been a battle trying to stay healthy through the recovery- cheers!

8. AnastasiaB says:

Loved that. Thank you so much for sharing!

I’m glad y’all felt the message of this poem, too. (And who doesn’t love a cute gypsy caravan?!)

10. Michelle says:

Great message Mel, just what I needed to hear at the moment.

11. Sarah B says: