In my quest for lean superhero-ness, I’m following the Wendler 5/3/1 strength training program. Twice a week, Dave and I are hitting the craptastic gym in our Converse to lift heavy and crank through a mini-metcon.
Life in a nutshell.
As you know if you read my post from yesterday, I’m enjoying the fruits of being a chick this week. All hail hormone poisoning!
My experiences today are the perfect encapsulation of the ups and downs of life. In no particular order, the things that are awesome and annoying about being me today:
1. I meditated this morning before lifting at the craptastic. | I had time to meditate because I woke up too early.
2. I had a pretty badass workout this a.m. that included 85 weighted squats. | I have uncomfortable PMS.
3. We had a totally kickass meeting with our PR company Bread & Butter Public Relations. | We have to take some kinda scary next steps to grow our business.
4. Dave and I ate a celebratory steak lunch. | The big lunch made me sleepy.
5. I work for myself so I can nap if I want to. | I had a lie down, but my nap didn’t take.
6. I developed a kickass tabbouleh recipe to share with you. | I’m having trouble finishing the blog post because I can’t think. See #2 above.
7. It’s almost the weekend. | I can’t believe it’s almost the weekend already! (I’m not caught up on my work yet.)
8. I work at home, so I can do laundry any time. | I started the laundry, then forgot about it. Then re-started it and forgot about it.
9. I watched this video, and it made me really happy. | I watched this video, and it made me a little weepy. (Learn more about Matt here.)
There’s no light without dark, no happiness with sorrow, no pleasure in the occasional indulgence without the daily good behavior — and all in all, it’s been a pretty good day.
Except for the PMS.
PVC shoulder mobility
10 slow PVC Frankenstein squats + 10 PVC good mornings
10 slow PVC back squats + 10 PVC good mornings
10 slow PVC OH squats + 10 PVC good mornings
5 @ 65% of max = 90#
5 @ 75% of max = 105#
max reps @ 85% of max = 120# – I did 9.
5 @ 65% of max = 70#
5 @ 75% of max = 85#
max reps @ 85% of max = 95# – I did 9.
I totally, unequivocally love bench press. It makes me feel big, dumb, and strong — and for those few reps, I’m all about it.
2 rounds, 45# bar:
10 front squat
10 overhead squat
10 back squat
How’s your day going?
17 Responses to “Strength Thursday – 06/21/12”
Post a comment
Like what you've read? Got something to say? Lay it on me!