Rants & Raves – 05/05/12

Oh, the webbernet! It gets me all riled up with dire news and mainstream idiocy, then blammo! it hits me with something so awesome, it must be shared. Dear friends, welcome to this week’s collection of Rants & Raves.

Rants

Stuff that made me want to smash my face into the desk in frustration or outrage, in no particular order…

The FDA won’t ban BPA
From the article: “The ubiquity of BPA is unsettling. Studies have found the chemical in the blood of newborn babies, who absorbed it while still in utero. We consume the stuff every day: It leaches from can linings into our food and drink…” I try not to get too freaked out because there are only so many things a girl can worry about in regards to food, but I do always buy Muir Glen tomatoes because their cans are BPA free, and I invested in these BPA-free storage containers.

I can’t believe he did that.

Remember last week when I told you about the Pizza Hut Middle East Crown Crust Pizza? First, here’s the commercial for the ultimate Frankenfood:

And here’s a review by a dude who actually flew to Dubai to try it. “…the pizza looked nothing like the pizza I saw in the commercial. It was smaller, thinner, and all around greyer.”

Thanks for bringing us down, Reuters

The news organization Reuters goes beyond the obesity epidemic numbers (incidence of obesity in the United States has soared from 13 percent to 34 percent over the last 50 years) to calculate the other associated costs. Example: “$5 billion annually for additional jet fuel needed to fly heavier Americans, compared to fuel needed at 1960 weights.” Sure, the dollar costs are sobering, but you know what’s more tragic? Quality of life costs and media/government that continue to push the same tired, outdated ideas about healthy nutrition.

Raves

Let’s move on to the happy stuff, shall we?

MUST READ #1: Meditation Matters by Kathleen Shannon
As always, Kathleen does a brilliant job of informing and inspiring at the same time. Her step-by-step instructions demystify meditation and will make it so easy for you to give it a try.

MUST READ #2: Whole9 Movement Series, Part 3

Last week, I told you about the Movement Series written by Melissa and Dallas of Whole9. Be sure to read their summary of Part 1 and Part 2 for some excellent guidelines for creating your best bod.

Peek Inside an Olympic Training Diary
Holley Mangolds is a pretty inspiring chick. She was a lineman on a boys’ football team in high school (!) and recently qualified for the 2012 US Olympic weightlifting team. Her qualifying lifts? 242.5# snatch and 319.67# clean and jerk. Can you even?! For constrast, my best snatch ever was 55#. That makes me giggle. Every Friday, Holley will guest post at BreakingMuscle.com to share her journey from here to London in July. Read the first installment right here!

It’s a mule. It’s a bookmobile.

If those two thoughts together aren’t compelling enough to get you to click, I’m not sure I can help you. And only the most hard-hearted curmudgeon would fail to be moved by the details in the story.

“Lukewarm coffee tastes bad because cavemen didn’t have refrigerators.”
Again, the click is hard to resist, right?! “… biological processes such as our sensory systems tend to be designed by evolution to perform most effectively at the temperatures we are typically exposed to. ‘Our ancestors did not eat food at extreme temperatures… Their meals consisted of mostly foraged berries and freshly hunted meat in the 20 to 37 degree Celsius range — almost exactly the window in which our taste buds are most sensitive.'”

Food Geekery, Through the Ages

This Food Timeline is jam packed with tasty tidbits about popular foods, recipes, and food history through the ages. I could lose days following these links. And if you have anything productive you need to do, don’t even think about exploring the Food History index.

So many good ideas here!

Charles Poliquin’s Fifty Fat Loss tips. These are my two favorites and next week, I’m starting to incorporate one sprint session into my weekly routine. (‘Cause Jen Sinkler is a beautiful badass, and I know she loves sprints, too.)

9.    For gradual fat loss over a longer period, include strength cycles that favor testosterone release with heavier loads (up to 95 percent 1RM), slightly longer rest (2 to 3 minutes), and lots of sets.

12.    Do high-intensity sprint intervals for conditioning. Two examples are 60 cycle sprints of 8 seconds each, 12 seconds rest; or 6 all-out 30-second running sprints on a track, 4 minutes rest.

Finally…

I believe we should all aspire to feeling this level of joy every day. Yes, it kinda looks like Smudge, but no, it’s not her. (Thanks Animals Doing People Things and CuteOverload for the pic.)

14 Responses to “Rants & Raves – 05/05/12”

1. Oh that cheeseburger pizza thing makes my gallbladder hurt just looking at it. Yuck yuck gross.

Holley Mangold is awesome. I love watching her lift. And her brother plays for the Jets. He is also hugenormous. Now that I’m a mom, my first thought was, “I cannot imagine feeding them as teenagers. You would have to go to CostCo.”

It makes me a little queasy that the “old me” might have thought the cheeseburger pizza thing looked fun. Terrifying.

2. LauraG says:

The cat pic cracks me up! My own cat LOVES clean sheets LOL she will chase the sheet ripples as I try to make the bed – too adorable!

3. lane says:

i could rant about bpa for weeks on end. it really disgusts me that the fda refuses to take action on this issue, especially when the evidence against it so overwhelming. *enormous sigh*

4. Tami C. says:

When I read that a guy flew all the way to Dubai to try the pizza I was sad. Then I thought about it and got mad. Anthony Bourdain went there, there has to be good food there worth the trip, right? Then I saw the website he worked for and I understood. Then I read the article and I was amused. Then I got to the end and saw where he said it was worth it and I was sad all over again. Full circle.

That’s the cycle I go through on almost all of the food-related rants.

Amusement > Disgust > Anger > Frustration > Sadness

5. Ms jane says:

Ditto your sentiments above when I saw in someone’s supermarket trolley frozen roast potatoes!!! WTF? How hard is it to peel a spud and whack it in the oven? Clearly I’m not spending enough time in the freezer section. I can only imagine what other horrors lie there!

6. Hi Melissa!
    Just had to tell you – I just got back from a beautiful 2-hour bike ride (it’s SUCH a gorgeous day here today) and am having your Bora Bora Fireballs with Sunshine Sauce as a post-ride snack. OMG – they are so awesome. The were leftover from dinner and they ARE even better the second day.

LOVE LOVE LOVE your cookbook!

Dianna

Right ON! Don’t you love when you have something yummy leftover in the fridge?! But now I’m craving Bora Bora Fireballs big time. I might have to make some tomorrow ;-)

7. Robyn F says:

Fifty Fat Loss Tips…..number 10 is my favorite!!!

8. Hollie says:

Muir Glen doesn’t use BPA in their canned tomatoes? Awesome! I contacted them in 2010 to specifically ask them that, and below is the response I got:

“Dear Mrs. Elizondo:

Thank you for contacting Muir Glen regarding bisphenol-A in food packaging. Bisphenol-A is a critical component of protective coatings used with metal food packaging and provides important quality and safety features to canned foods.

Scientific and government bodies worldwide have examined the scientific evidence and consistently have reached the conclusion that BPA is not a risk to human health. Recent examples include comprehensive risk assessments in Japan and Europe and a review by an independent panel of experts organized by the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis. The can coatings used in Muir Glen packaging comply with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration requirements for use in food contact applications and are not made of plastic but enamel which prevents the BPA from leeching into the product. These coatings have long played an essential part in food preservation, helping to maintain wholesomeness, nutritional value, and product quality.

We work closely with our suppliers to ensure that all of the food ingredients and packaging materials we use are fully in compliance with U.S. Food and Drug Administration requirements and meet our high quality standards.

We will continue to monitor this situation. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. Your questions and comments are always welcome. For more information on the safety of metal food containers, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration press office may be contacted at (301) 436-2335.

Sincerely,

Kristin Wynn
    Consumer Services”

I assumed they were using BPA based on their defense of it, but upon re-reading it sounds like there’s BPA somewhere in the can but it doesn’t touch the food? Regardless I’ve continued to use Muir Glen whenever I need tomatoes because their product tastes far superior to any other on the market. I’d love to hear if you have found a more clear confirmation that they do not use BPA. Keep on cookin’!

9. Tonja Pizzo says:

I LOVE the food timeline! Looking forward to spend some time exploring it!!