VDay Gift For You: Meat & Spinach Muffins

My mom is the Queen of Thoughtful Gifts. Most of the cute socks, comfy pajamas, and pretty kitchen gadgets I own are because of my mom’s holiday-related generosity. This morning, I opened pink and red heart-covered packages that revealed the following goodies:

Pretty measuring spoons!

This one says “love” — note the lovely barbell-induced callouses on my palm!

And adorable muffin papers with dino flags, perfect for dino-chow Meat & Spinach Muffins.

Inspired by my mom’s generosity, and because I love you, you can download a PDF of the Meat & Spinach Muffins recipe from Well Fed: Paleo Recipes For People Who Love to Eat. Happy Valentine’s Day to you!

Download the PDF of the Meat & Spinach Muffins recipe

Tags: ,

30 Responses to “VDay Gift For You: Meat & Spinach Muffins”

1. Dannielle says:

awwww, that is sooooo sweet!!!! and the measuring spoons are beautiful!!!! I want some.. where did she buy those???

2. Melinda Nickas says:

Yum! Thank you!

3. Michelle says:

Too funny, I just made these last night :) Had one for breakfast, with a little quac. I not a spinach lover, so this is a great way to get in some good nutrients!

4. Amy says:

Yay! These look great! I love that you included the “world tour” part for different flavors. I was just thinking, “I wonder how lamb would be instead” when I saw it :)

5. Andrea says:

Mom’s ROCK…mine gave me a set of those measuring spoons too! I love them and use them all the time!

6. Melissa says:

I had these for breakfast this morning! The measuring spoons are SO awesome!

7. Renee says:

I had these this morning, too. I made mine with lamb and every green veggie I had on hand, all finely chopped – leftover asparagus, arugula, broccoli, and spinach. I’m at a conference and left my hotel room satisfied and well fueled for the day. These are my favorite travel meal or grab and go snack. They come out a little different every time, but always wonderful. They have made my transition to post whole30 a piece of cake (muffin?)

8. Melissa says:

i’m going to have to make several different batches of these and freeze some for Dan and myself for the upcoming weeks. This is almost of hybrid of my mini quiches and meatloaf muffins, lol. More meatloaf I guess

9. dana g says:

Ok…like other’s have asked…WHERE did your Moms get these adorable measuring spoons!

10. Mom says:

Hello everyone!

This blog is buzzing over Melissa’s measuring spoons. I purchased these on amazon. I selected this set called “Wine Glass & Grapes Measuring Spoons” by Ganz because, in addition to the grape motif, they also have the words “Bon Appetit”, “Enjoy”, “Cheers” and the word that best describes how I feel about my sweet daughter “Love.” http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HJG92I/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=roltheboo-20

Ganz makes several other really cute designs including cats, tea cups, angels, and sunflowers. There are even a few sets that have heart shaped spoons.

Sorry, no Dinosaurs! :-(

Amazon sells a Ganz measuring spoon display rack. Shhhhh! Don’t tell Mel. I didn’t buy the display rack for her, well not yet anyway.

~~Hugs from Pennsylvania~~

11. Mom says:

I took down my Valentine decorations this morning and put up my Shamrocks. Making spinach muffins with ground lamb inspired by your post and the color “green. Oh, my! Remember when I made icky-looking green scrambled eggs for you and TJ on St. Patrick’s Day???
    xxoo ~~Mom~~

12. pamela says:

Those are such wonderful gifts, and a big thanks to your mom for sharing where to get them. Hmm, I have a birthday next week. I just may have to treat myself to a set.

I’ve also been meaning to try those meat and spinach muffins. No time like the present. Thanks again.

13. Tonja Pizzo says:

I have been munching on the meat muffins all week!!! I LOVE THEM!!!! Using lamb was perfect!

14. Supers says:

Meat and spinach muffins are one of my faves from Well Fed. It’s a recipe on repeat.

Today I have jicama in the slow cooker for home style fries tomorrow.

Thanks Melissa!

15. Lily says:

Just made these muffins with lamb, mint and cumin and they are delicious! Can’t wait to have some tomorrow as well.

Imm LOVING that so many of you are making the spinach muffins with lamb. I think that’s my favorite, too… I’m working on a new recipe with some other vegetables and seasoning options. Look for them soon!

17. Wendy says:

Meat muffins are a regular at my house, so convenient for cleaning out the fridge! Load up all the left over bits of meat and veggies, the more colorful the better. Love biting into an array of color, green spinach, red pepper, orange yam. Love your spiceology, you are an inspiration!

18. aaryn b. says:

Just FYI: The baking directions do not include how long they should bake in the oven. We are winging it, but a bake time would be great!

19. […] Meat Muffins  (I used Italian Sausage – super SPICEY and its so. so. sooo good.)  Also, aparently I only […]

20. Melissa says:

The muffins were great! I did ground chicken because it’s what I had on hand.

I didn’t like squeezing all of the spinach though, that was kind of a pain in the rear

21. Carole says:

Does the spinach just go on top after you put the meat in? THanks.

• AustinGirl says:

Carol, the meat and other ingredients are mixed together before you put them in the muffin cups. The recipe does a pretty good job of laying out all of the steps. I read it a few times, just to make sure that I got everything right, myself! :o)

22. Beth Atchley says:

Would using fresh spinach work, and would any modifications be necessary? I just picked up the book at Crossfit Austin and want to make these and use up a tub of baby spinach.

I’m not sure that fresh spinach will work. It’s very, very wet, and I think the extra moisture will make it pretty tough for the muffins to come together. If you try it, you’re going to need A LOT of fresh spinach, and make sure you really wring out the moisture after you cook it.

23. Kathryn Foster says:

These are SUPER YUMMY! I made them after I purchased my Well Food cookbook for my Kindle YAY (really excited about that)!!! I did them with chili powder and a little cumin, good stuff. Going to my inlaws for the weekend (for the Warrior Dash) and I know they will not have anything for me to eat that is Whole 30 approved, so these muffins and a few other recipes from you are traveling to Md. from Va this weekend! Thank you for making this Whole 30 easier than I thought!

24. Jen says:

I *did* just use fresh spinach in them. It was time to tear it out of the garden and we used all we had (after making chicken strawberry spinach salads, anyway…) I rinsed it, squeezed it, buzzed it up in the Cuisinart so my kids wouldn’t be able to pick any out, and it worked GREAT! I think next time I’ll experiment with more veggies, and also less cayenne if I want the kiddos to eat them, but they are already on the faves for freezing list. I love having things to pull out and go!

25. DJDeeJay says:

Mel, I need your help with this recipe! Just tried this for the first time and the only thing I changed was using ground turkey breast (same amount). But somehow I got 20 muffins instead of 12 and they’re barely held together. When I was mixing the eggs into the meat with my hands I thought it looked like they needed an extra egg but since it was my first time making the recipe I thought I’d just go with it. Any ideas on what went wrong or what I should change the next time? Thanks in advance for any help.

Taking a guess, I’d wager that maybe you didn’t squeeze enough of the water out of the spinach? That would account for the extra volume and the fact that they didn’t hold together. But I’m guessing since I wasn’t in the kitchen with you.

When I make them, I squeeze the spinach until it’s almost dry. There is NO excess liquid at all. Next time, try getting more water out of the spinach, and if it still seems too wet, definitely add another egg — that should help.

26. DJDeeJay says:

Thanks. Usually I use cheesecloth to squeeze thawed frozen spinach but I was out. I tried your trick with the colander and the bowl, but I’m pretty impatient so I probably wasn’t very thorough. Good to know for next time!

27. […] Meat & Spinach Muffins – We love these! They are a great protein to have on hand when you are in a […]

28. […] Meat and Spinach Muffins (from The Clothes Make The Girl) […]

29. Georgette says:

I had a hard time with the proportions with this recipe. I just bought your book and these sounded amazing. I’m a pretty good cook so I’m not quite sure what went wrong. I squeezed the living daylights out of the spinach, but still ended up with so much “solids” that adding three eggs barely looked like it would turn into a muffin in the oven. I also ended up with about twice the amount of muffins. I ended up using 6 eggs instead so it would all look like it would hold together and they’re in the oven right now so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I’ve been making this recipe myself for about 10 years and tested it extensively for the cookbook, so it works very well as written. However, the way you made the muffins should work, but I suspect they will be quite eggy. Hope you like them! And I encourage you to try a batch as written… they only include enough egg to hold them together when they bake which is why you probably thought the “batter” seemed weird. When it’s ready for the oven, it’s primarily spinach and meat with just enough egg to act as “glue.”

30. […] welcome Meat & Spinach Muffins and Raspberry Ripple. Or should I say Beef, Pork and Silverbeet Muffins and Mixed Berry […]

31. […] This recipe is from Well Fed: Paleo Recipes For People Who Love to Eat via The Clothes Make The Girl. […]