These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things: NFL & Awards Shows

I’m not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the line, I fell in love with watching professional football.

I still pick my teams based on their uniforms (I’m a sucker for the Saints black and gold, and I like the red stripes on the side of the Broncos uniforms) or which quarterback I think would have integrity, so I’m not sure I’d refer to myself as a real football fan. But I’m a sucker for how amazing a brilliantly-executed play can be. The quarterbacks throw the ball to someone WHO’S NOT THERE YET! When things work, the players are the epitome of athleticism, grace, and a dose of showboating. How could I resist that?! Plus, if I’m being honest, I also love when the players look sad that they’re losing — then I can shout at the TV, “Aw. Are you sad? You can use hundred dollar bills to wipe away your tears, Mr. Millionaire.”

Mocking aside: Even though I hardly ever get to park my fanny in front of the TV and watch a whole game, I love it. In fact, next Sunday, I’m watching football and the Golden Globe Awards. I know awards shows are not good for me (in that they promote an unrealistic body image and at the end, I always think, Well, there go three hours I’m never getting back.), but I’ve given up everything else that is not good for me, so I will assert my right to look at beautiful people wearing ridiculously expensive clothing, whilst pretending to be humble or to actually want to talk to Ryan Seacrest about their dress designer. I’m even thinking about buying new pajamas for the occasion, staying in them all day, and making paleo snacks for munching

But back to football. I desperately wish I could have been on the sidelines to witness this in person. This is what I mean about the athleticism and grace, with a dose of showboating.

What about you? What will you be watching next Sunday: football, Globes, neither, or (join me!) both?

Tags:

21 Responses to “These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things: NFL & Awards Shows”

1. Sheila Hicks says:

Sigh…Football! Like you, I don’t often get to watch a full game, so when I do, I try to enjoy every minute of it. During the Broncos/Steelers game last weekend, if I had blinked I would have missed so many exciting plays!
    Yay for girls who like FOOTBALL!!

OMG! That game! Shortest overtime in NFL history… what?! HOW FREAKIN’ AWESOME WAS THAT?! I mean, no matter who you were cheering for, that was amaze-balls.

2. katetastrophee says:

My hometown team is the Dolphins, and well, they aren’t so good, but on the bright side, it’s possible to sit shoeless at a tiki bar on the beach to watch the game with other Phin Phans. On the not so bright side, tiki bars are not conducive to staying on Whole30. I think I’ll catch up on Downton Abbey instead this Sunday. Could there be anything that’s completely 100% opposite of football? At least I’ll be able to have a nice cuppa while watching and not fall off the W30 wagon.

• katetastrophee says:

The ghost of Dan Marino (he’s not dead) visited me in the middle of the night to remind me I can’t sit at a tiki bar and sip umbrella drinks (guzzle beer) and watch Miami play again until next year. Doh.

3. I LOVE FOOTBALL! Mr. Simpson up there has a 6′ vertical leap, commits a teensy facemask penalty upside down in midair (not called – awesome) and sticks the landing. I was screaming at the TV. I have all 4 wildcard games still on my DVR and I may watch the Denver / Pitt game one more time for the lulz.

Also, I got my copy of Well Fed today. Am reading and marking and making grocery lists as we speak!

4. Andrea says:

I don’t really like to watch pro football, I prefer college football if I’m actually going to watch a game…however I love the background noise on Saturdays and Sundays of football on the TV while I’m in the kitchen…it’s just comforting (weird, I know). Now, award shows…hmm this is a totally different animal for me…For about 10 years I was completely obsessed with going to the movie and making it a goal to see all the academy award nominated films before the show (I actually met this goal for 9 years straight…again weird, I know.) Now, I’m not as fanatical and don’t really even like to go to the movie much but I still like to watch the award show…it’s mindless entertainment! So, I’ll be watching the globes along with you!

5. Shawn says:

Both and new PJs sounds like a great idea!

6. karen anderson says:

Strangely drawn to movie awards shows…I almost never go to the movies (wait for the DVD unless it is something I REALLY want to see) and am not the least bit into high fashion, etc, but for some reason I get caught up in the glamour of it all and getting a glimpse of the “beautiful people” outside of their roles as actors (if they ever truly are). So, I will be joining you Mel, more likely in sweats than PJs :o) As far as football, I have never been able to appreciate the “athleticism” of men who clearly obese and making millions of dollars being that way. The only sport that I will sit and watch on TV is track and field…LOVE it! Happy Wednesday!

7. Cathy says:

Go Giants! I love pro football…

(awards shows not so much)

8. I will be watching my beloved Patriots take on he that is Tim Tebow.

I also love watching NFL games–I’m always amazed at the way the players totally sacrifice their bodies for a play…like when they leap/lunge at a ball going out of bounds and just drag their feet and let their bodies slam into the ground…I think I would always try to save myself..

9. Qy-Ana says:

Oh Mel, I just fell in love with you a little bit more!

10. dawnpoints says:

woohoowoohoo football footbal happy dance!!!

11. JennF says:

As a lifelong Bronco fan I will most definitely be watching them on Saturday night (and will quietly, humbly correct you that the stripes on their jerseys are dark orange, not red), as well as all the other games on Saturday and Sunday.

The award shows, not so much, but I will definitely be looking at the pictures on Monday (because, really, it’s all about the clothes!).

12. Alisha says:

I love football! And the Broncos/Steelers game was incredible. Absolutely incredible. But seeing as my team lost in that game I will be tuning in to the first sport I ever loved: hockey! I love the fast pace and how territorial it is. Any girl who loves football should definitely watch a game!

13. Lynne says:

Football Sundays are when my husband does food-prep for the week – of course I love football! Also, for what it’s worth, katetastrophy, football into Downton Abbey is a natural progression in this household, too. Awards shows, not too much. I do LOVE the dresses, but the inanity of the hosts (unless it’s Hugh Jackman) drive me crazy.

14. Ashley says:

I’m a college fan (Alabama) and a pro fan – Geaux Saints! The last time Alabama won the national championship (2009) the Saints won the Super Bowl! Since Alabama just beat LSU for the national title, I’ll be looking for a Saints championship this year.

15. Linnea says:

I have been watching more football lately too recently. My new husband is a season ticket holder for our local team so I feel obligated to join him for 1-3 games a year. I have even gotten to the point where I know more about the personel on the team than he does.
    Award shows though – not so much. New jammies are always a huge hit for me.

16. dressage rider says:

GO GreenBay PACKERS!

17. Lynn M says:

Love love football. Met my husband because of football (he’s a Saints fan and I a Packers fan) so we are both hoping that next weekend is interesting in our home!

You guys… is it wrong that I’m totally excited for Sunday to get here? I’ve been planning our menu: Chocolate Chili, Cucumber Salad, Nori Chips… and Dave told me that if I even try to do any work this weekend, he’s going to sit on me.

I think I’m going to wear my black feather fascinator for the globes. Will that go with leopard PJs, do you think?!

19. Nancy says:

Great Weekend! Football…your chocolate chili with cauliflower mashed potatoes…first time trying the mayo with tuna salad. Fantastic.Love Well Fed. And now The Golden Globes! Thanks for the inspiration!