Well Fed, But Not Perfect

It’s been almost a month since Well Fed was released, and there are more than 3700 copies circulating out in the world (so far!). Over the weekend, we cracked the Top 100 on Amazon.com! We’re so grateful to you all for your sweet words about the book, for sharing your cooking adventures with us, and for posting photos of your delicious creations. You’re making this whole thing so much fun!

We’re doing our best, but this is a big learning experience for us, we’ve hit some snags we didn’t anticipate. But we’re working to correct them.

1. The PDF Version
We’ve heard from some of you that the experience of Well Fed on the iPad/tablet isn’t that great — and that the 2-up page layout makes it hard to print out pages if you want to take them off the computer and into the kitchen.

You’re right! We’re sorry about that.

We thought that a PDF that recreated the print version would be really cool, but that didn’t take printing into account or accommodate the experience of using the PDF on a smaller screen. To remedy the problem, we’ve created a single-page version of the book in PDF form. That should make it much easier to print out and to use on iPads and other tablets. We’ve emailed download instructions for the new version to everyone who purchased it. If you didn’t get the email or have problems downloading, shoot me an email: melissa@theclothesmakethegirl.com. (Be sure to include either the email address you used to purchase the PDF or your invoice ID number.)

Also, rejoice, digital people! We’ve decided to create a Kindle version. If will probably take us a few weeks to do the production, but it’s coming. I’ll announce it here, Twitter, and Facebook as we get closer.

2. Loose Pages
We’ve heard from some of you thatpages are falling out of your books. We’re really sorry to hear that! I like to destroy my books, so I cracked the binding on mine, and it’s held together. But I also had four copies in my bulk shipment that lost pages when I opened them for the first time.

We’re talking with CreateSpace to see if they can fix the problem. Until then, if pages fall out of your copy, contact Amazon/CreateSpace; they’ll ship a replacement to you the next day at no charge and will pay the shipping for you to send the faulty version back. I’ve also heard from a few folks who took their books to an office supply store and had them spiral bound, or added holes and made a DIY binder. Those people are well fed and crafty!

3. Some Typos
Despite multiple rounds of recipe testing, copyediting, and proofing, we’ve found a few errors in the cookbook. It’s minor stuff, but we want to set it all straight. We’ll be posting an errata sheet very soon that clarifies the few confusing things that made it into the book, as well as a PDF of the errata sheet you can download and keep with your book — and the errors will be corrected in future editions. Thanks so much for your patience!

Thank you so much for being overwhelmingly supportive! I feel like all of you are part of our big Well Fed roller coaster, and that makes the ride all the sweeter.

75 Responses to “Well Fed, But Not Perfect”

1. Janis Haug says:

I love your blog and the Well Fed cookbook. The only complaint I have is the font is pretty small for those of us who are old and need bifocals!!

2. Lauren says:

My copy just arrived today! Excited to use it, errata and all!

3. Toni C says:

One of the benefits of being related to NomNomPaleo is getting gifts as awesome as your cookbook. I think I have a serious girl crush on you, mistakes and all! My kid just shared her favorite recipe with her kinder class: Cocoa Toasted Cauliflower and her teacher didn’t believe her. I heart you!

WOOT! I love the NomNoms and all associated relatives of the NomNoms ;-)

Your kid must be awesome. Anyone who chooses cauliflower as a favorite veg is near and dear to my heart (because my top 5 foods include cabbage. Is that weird?!)

4. JulieAbel says:

Hey Melissa- I got your book and our whole family started on the Whole 30 this week. Mine was one of the ones that fell apart. BUMMER. But we are in the middle of the program, so I don’t want to ship it back just yet! Will do after the 30 days. Great stuff so far and beautiful layout. Looking forward to this crazy Paleo Lifestyle with my husband Jeff as he begins his crazy idea for 2012. Blessings!

Sorry your book exploded. But the recipes are still good,right?! :-)

Happy 2012 to you — wishing you many happy cooking adventures.

• Mom says:

Hi JulieAbel,
      I am Melissa’s mom. I want to share my experience with regard to Amazon replacing ~my~ defective copy of Well Fed. I reported the problem to Amazon last Friday. Go your account and select returns/defective. I immediately received a pre-paid printable label to return the book with the loose pages. Amazon sent me a replacement at no charge and I got it on MONDAY. The instructions said to return the defective book in 30 days or my credit card would be charged for the second book. So you can use the copy with loose pages until the replacement arrives. That way you won’t miss out on single delicious recipe. I’m making “Best Chicken You Ever Ate” tonight!

~Roni Joulwan

5. Michelle says:

On page 22 you specify refined coconut oil–is that supposed to be unrefined?

Thank you for the new PDF version! It’s going to make printing recipes so much easier.

And… adding that to the corrections list. It should be UNrefined for optimal health — although if you don’t like the flavor of coconut, the refined is milder (although more processed).

6. Audrey says:

My book is also losing pages, but I think I might go get mine spiral bound too, that would make it so much easier to lay flat on the counter and use in the kitchen. Maybe I should laminate it too, because recipes I use often get that sticky coating after awhile.

Your cook book has practically taken over my kitchen. I almost always have a chocolate chili stash going in the frig or freezer, I do roasted cauliflower at least once a week and LOVE your spice combination but I try my own combos sometimes, did the chicken yesterday but I used chicken thighs ’cause that’s what I had. Oh and the carrots I can eat like they are french fries!! (Not that I eat french fries.) Thank you!!

Love the idea of laminating. You could really go to town with splattering then! :-)

I’d so glad the Well Fed recipes are in standard rotation. That’s AWESOME!

7. Matt M says:

3701! I got my copy here in the UK. I had to buy it from the US Amazon store but it was so worth it.

Can’t wait to get cooking! I’m currently doing a Whole30 (my 4th) so I’m even more eager to dive in.

8. Cissy Chin says:

Waiting for my copy…if mine falls apart I will probably have it spiral bound as well….great idea! I may go ahead and do that to all my Paleo Cookbooks because I use them sooo much.

9. Danelle says:

I LOVE my book! I’m learning to really use spices, thanks to you!

I’m totally on a first name basis with you in my house. When my husband questions something in a recipe, I reply “Well, Melissa says to do this..” or “Well, Melissa says it’s ok.” Also, “You know how you could do that?” is now part of my vocabulary.

Thanks so much!!

Spices are like the perfect accessory when you’re wearing a little black dress.

Feel free to use me as an excuse for all kinds of behavior. I’m an excellent scapegoat ;-)

10. Meredith says:

My copy arrived yesterday and I promptly DEVOURED it, reading entire recipes aloud to my husband and (nearly) jumping up and down with excitement to try them all. One of the things that amazed me most was that I already have the ingredients on hand for the vast majority of recipes — that’s quite a feat for a cookbook to have so many creative new recipes, but use relatively few and fairly standard (to any Paleo kitchen) ingredients. Kudos!

My Crossfit gym is going a Whole30 challenge right now and I am suggesting your cookbook as mandatory reading! Look for lots of new orders from Tucson, Arizona!!!

YAY! So glad it’s going to be easy for you to start cooking — be sure to let me know what you make first!

Thanks for spreading the love in Tucson! If people at your gym want to order in bulk, we can set y’all up with a wholesale rate. Shoot me an email.

• Meredith says:

I started heating the pan to make Carmelized Coconut Chips before I’d even finished reading the recipe. (They’re amazing; you’re a genius.) I made them again last night, and my husband ate the entire first batch in the time it took me to refill my water glass! I’m making the meat and spinach muffins tonight, and I’ve literally been dreaming about the Sesame-Garlic Nori Chips! Yay WELL FED!!!

And thanks for the offer on the bulk/wholesale discount. I’ll talk with folks from my gym!

HA! I love that your husband snarfed the coconut chips! And you are free to call me a genius anytime you like; I will not strut to my work kitchen to refill my herbal tea, all the while thinking, “I’m a genius.”

Have fun with the Nori Chips! I’m making some on Sunday to eat while I watch football!

11. Marjie Scheib says:

Just purchased the book. Love the idea of getting it spiral bound. Don’t lose sleep over the kinks, they will all be worked out.

12. Jackie says:

I love your book! Made the Best Chicken You Ever Ate for my family (they are not paleo – I’ve been making the switch over the past few months), and they all loved it!!! I’ve planned my week with your advice, pre-cooked tons of veggies, cooked up the ground meat, and am SO prepared! I feel amazing when I eat this way, and can’t wait to dive into your many recipes! I also love your sense of humour; thanks for the smiles :)

Thanks for the sweet words. That chicken is awesome for “tricking” people. I used it to feed our band once — none of them knew they were “eating healthy.” Rock on with your bad self!

13. katetastrophee says:

The spine of my Well Fed is so broken it needs a Deenie scoliosis brace. The pages are hanging in there though. I made Char Siu the other day and I think I saw an oopsie in that recipe. I don’t have the book in front of my at the moment, but I think the recipe says something about removing foil twice. I used my noggin and figured it out for myself and the recipe came out DeLish.

Right on! Way to drop the Judy Blume reference. That made my heart sing!

I’ll take another look at the Char Siu recipe — thanks for the heads up. That one was kinda hard to figure out, so I’m not surprised if I made a typo or something. I had notes EVERYWHERE for that one. But it’s really good, right?!

• mary says:

loved the Judy blume reference as well:)

14. Emily says:

Melissa,

So far I’m really happy with mine! I did notice the small font (wow, really small!) but on the Whole30 I’m so healthy that I can read it! :) Thanks – the recipes are awesome and are giving us ideas for cool new recipes!

Nicely done!

15. marcia (ravingkiko) says:

I bought the digital version because I had to have it IMMEDIATELY! But I have to tell you people that going to kinko’s and getting a cookbook spiral bound is the best! I did it with Everyday Paleo and it’s been great. If I had the printed book I’d do it even if I wasn’t losing pages.

So excited about the Kindle edition!!

16. Meg H says:

I am so in love with your cookbook. I carry it around with me everywhere :) Everything has been amazing so far, but the coconut green beans tonight are by far the best. I contemplated licking the hot skillet to get every last morsel of deliciousness! Thanks for making the transition to paleo/whole 30 eating managable and fun! You rock!

My mom and niece like those green beans the best, too! Also, I LOVE the idea of you carrying Well Fed around like a little handbook. Adorbs!

17. Primal Toad says:

Wow! Congrats on all of the sales Melissa! That’s AWESOME! Primal/Paleo. Is. Getting. HUGE!

I’ve sold over 1100 copies of Toadally Primal Smoothies in a 8 month time frame but I ain’t complaining!

Keep it up! I’ll help you sell some soon!!

18. Lauren says:

Hi! I can’t wait to get my copy after reading the few pages available for download, but I’m wondering if there are any plans to sell it in big book stores (like chapters) in Canada? If not, I’ll just have to order it…

19. Lorrie says:

Being a “foodie”, cooking is my passion, I have tons of cookbooks and take many cooking classes with chefs.

My Well Fed book arrived today from Amazon and truthfully I have never been so excited to order and receive a cookbook! I just started the Paleo lifestyle and your book is going to make all the difference in the world. I cannot wait to dive into it.

It is amazing that you have 45 reviews on Amazon and all of them but one are 5 stars! Plus the 4 star review had nothing negative to say. That makes a strong statement, congrads!

Wow, Lorrie… thank you! Such lovely compliments packed into these little paragraphs. So nice!

Best wishes for happy cooking and eating to you as you make the transition to paleo. And yes, the Amazon reviews are so great — we’re just tickled and humbled at the response.

20. Jennifer says:

Love the cookbook! Have the electronic version and none of my pages are falling out:) Have tried so many recipes already and all have been hits…with my nonPaleo, nonWhole30 hubs. I think he said – I think this meal will cure cancer (we had the salmon, carrots and I made a side of kale). Best of luck to you.

21. Rhea says:

Hi Melissa-
    Well Fed is GREAT! Thanks! I have to be gluten and dairy free due to “allergies” and so it is really helping me out. But here is my challenge. My partner is also gluten free and not by choice so things like tomato paste is out as it is gluten is what makes it paste-y BUT also he can’t eat eggs. Any suggestions on how to make meatballs, for example, without eggs?
    I really enjoy your blog as well- helps keep my attitude positive!
    best, Rhea

Hey, Rhea!

You should be able to find tomato paste that’s gluten free. I have regular old grocery store brand and all it contains is tomato pulp — and tomatoes do not include gluten. Read your labels and that should be fine.

As for meatballs — just leave the eggs out. Meat + spices will work just great; no need for the egg binder because paleo meatballs don’t include any breadcrumbs/flour, etc.

• Rhea says:

Hi Melissa-
        Thanks-
        No eggs and the meatballs will still stick together is great news!

In terms of gluten if you are just avoiding it for your own health reasons then ingredients lists are fine. But if you are gluten intolerant like me and my partner then processing and processing agents are a big deal. Gluten or wheat will never be listed on tomato paste because it is considered a processing agent. In the same way many but not all spices, frozen veggies, meats or previously frozen fish, baby carrots and dried fruit are not gluten free. I usually have to contact the companies and ask if their products are made in plants that process things with gluten and even then we eat something and get sick only to find out they were less than sure.
        There are lots of gastronomic adventures to be had believe me!
        Thanks for always getting back to the comments!
        best,
        Rhea

Rhea! Thanks so much for posting this. I had no idea about the processing, and I’m really grateful to your for educating me. I’ll definitely keep these things in mind as I create new recipes and see if I can come up with gluten-free alternatives.

This is really eye opening. I thought my recipes were gluten-free because I didn’t include any grain-based ingredients or soy sauce. SO frustrating.

And again, thanks for taking the time to fill me in.

22. Patti Elliott says:

Mel, Peter and Nicole gave me a copy of Well Fed for Christmas. I LOVE it. The pages came out of my book also, but I got out the hole punch and put the whole book in a binder. This way I can add recipes from the blog (Sweet and Salty Fudge Bombs for starters) and the pages lie flat. I like the idea of laminating too. Love to you.

PATTI! I’m sad your book fell apart… but I’m glad you found a way to make it work. Let me know if you want a replacement. Hugs from Austin! Come visit soon!

23. Tresa Sauer says:

Love the book. Here’s something for your possible ‘mistake’ log. The Char Sui. Under ‘Increase the oven temp to 500F’- the directions imply the foil was still on the pork when the directive just prior says to remove foil and roast an add’l 40-45. At first I panicked – then decided it was likely an error. The recipe completely rocks. (As do you, girl.)

Like you, I love to cook, bake and eat. Also like you, I hated gym class and struggled many years with my weight. I eventually got a handle on it and in 2005, discovered Pilates and became an instructor! Last July, I discovered CrossFit and my notion of what it means to workout changed completely. Now, I’m going ‘Paleo.’ Thanks for applying your passion and cooking talents to all things Paleo. The several (well known) Paleo cookbooks I picked up before yours came out don’t even come close to ‘Well Fed’ in the Delish Department. From this fussy, food snob – my highest compliments to the chef!!!

p.s. My book is covered with food shmears. I ordered the PDF.

I love that your copy is already broken in with food shmears… that makes me ridiculously happy! Thanks for the lovely compliments; we worked hard to make the food like REAL food, not dietized, so it’s rewarding to know you’re enjoying it.

Thanks, too, for the Char Siu heads up. It’s on my list for review.

Happy cooking & eating!

24. Amy says:

Just wanted to drop a note. I have your cookbook and have made a number of recipes already. I made the TexMex Scotch Eggs tonight and my 5 year old declared them “very cool” and dug in. We have loved everything we have made and just wanted to share with you. Thank you for all of your hard work!

25. Jo Ann says:

I have to tell you – my husband is absolutely crazy about your Morrocan Dipping Sauce. He thinks it’s the greatest spooned over broccoli.

And this is Mr. CarbsRUs! He thinks that mashed potatoes are incomplete without corn. Hmmm. Your crazy delicious barbecued pulled pork + broccoli (+ morrocan dipping sauce) + salad = fantastic meal! We may convert him yet!

26. sarah k. says:

I’m really sorry about this asinine questions, but I have to ask, is it possible to get one of the defective copies at a discount? I desperately want the book, but I just don’t have enough pennies, and I’d definitely be willing to tape the pages together, or whatever.

27. Nancy says:

Will you be releasing a Kindle edition?

28. Barbara says:

When will it be available in the UK? I’ve looked everywhere but can’t find it and I’d much rather have a hard copy than a pdf.

29. Barbara says:

Thanks – I’ve downloaded the pdf for now…but will likely be back for a hard copy!

30. Angela says:

Thanks so much for the single-page PDF copy! Makes printing out recipes so much easier.

I’ve pimped out Well Fed to several of my friends and everyone has bought a copy and been cooking up a storm from it. I’ve got several paleo and primal cookbooks and this is by far the best!!

31. Angela says:

PLEASE see if you can get this available on the UK Amazon for us!
    Thx

32. Hi there! Love your cookbook and totally appreciate your Lebanese background. I tried to make riceless koosa and let’s just say that I’m going to have to keep trying!

Anyway, for the Meat and Spinach Muffins, it’s not 100% clear how long your should back the muffins. I’m going with 40 minutes but just wanted to let you know as you seem to be all over everything.

Thanks for the inspiration! I’m working on a website, http://www.paleopeeps.com, to highlight create work like yours! (Right now, I’m just hosting a Paleo Challenge so stay tuned…)

I might have to take a run at cleaning up koosa. Yum!

Yes, that’s one of the little errors in teh cookbook. The headnotes of the recipe include the baking time — 40 minutes — but the directions do not.

Going to check out your site right now… thanks for commenting!

33. Lindsey says:

I love love love the cookbook! I have begun the transition to a paleo lifestyle since the beginning of the year and this cook book has helped me stay on track and helped me think about how I can change some of my favorite recipes that are non paleo to a paleo friendly version! Love the cook book and the blog!

Thanks, Lindsey! Congratulations on making the switch to paleo. Hope you have lots of fun playing in the kitchen. Once you get the hang of it, it’s fairly easy to paleo-ize recipes so you can still enjoy some old favorites.

34. Karyn says:

Hi Mel,
    Nicely done! Thank-you for sharing your talents. I am loving every page in your cookbook! I’ve never been someone who liked to cook however I have broaden my skill set in the recent months as part of a fitness program that I am doing. A colleague showed me your book and I was so impressed by your creativity. The spices, coconut oil, and the brilliant way you prepare the food. Beyond delicious! I keep saying, “I don’t know the author personally but I think I love her for bringing so much joy to my cooking experience”.

Oh! You’re so sweet. Thank you. I’m really glad you’ve found stuff you like in Well Fed and hope you have ever so much fun cooking up a storm!

35. Kim says:

Hi, Mel

All I can say is ‘thank you’.

Thank you for such an amazing cookbook – it’s genius. You are very clever…

Also, thank you for the impeccable service. I had some trouble downloading and I was given an alternative in the blink of an eye.

Classy, funny, inspiring. Very impressed.

Thank you.

36. Chrissy says:

Melissa,

I’m so sorry to bother you, but I ordered Well Fed through Amazon a little over a month ago and actually looked all the way through it for the first time yesterday…it is beautiful! & I can’t wait to make the recipes!! However, I got a copy with pages falling out. :( I spoke to Amazon, but my return window ended on January 31st, about 5 days ago…I hate to ask, but I was wondering if there was anything you could do to help me get a new book. I’ll be happy to return the one I have to you, CreateSpace, or Amazon. If not, I absolutely understand- I just figured you might have a little more power, considering you’re the writer. haha Feel free to email me if you would prefer not to reply on here.

Sincerely,

Chrissy

37. Sarah V. says:

Hi Mel,

I just recieved the PDF version of your book two days ago. I had trouble figuring out what was up with the two different PDFs and tried to look it up. I stumbled onto this page and saw that you have a Kindle version coming out. I waited several months hoping for a Kindle version, put up a couple of comment requests, and finally gave out hope and bought the PDF thinking that you were not going to release a Kindle version. When the Kindle version comes out is there any way I can exchange my PDF version for a Kindle version? Personally I hate PDF ebooks as they take up a lot of space that could be used to hold more books on my Kindle.

Best,
    Sarah

P.S. I loved your sample ebook and look forward to trying out the rest of your recipes ASAP!

38. Sarah F says:

Hi,
    I live in Ireland and am really waiting for a Kindle version. Any idea when I can expect it?
    Thanks,
    Sarah

Our goal is to finish the Kindle conversion by the end of the month so it will be available for sale in early April… that’s the GOAL ;-)