Suck It, Thrusters. New PR!

As I’ve said many times, I have no love for thrusters. I do, however, have a thing for sprint-y workouts going on right now, and I was eager to jump into the WOD this morning…  despite a terrible night of tossing and turning on my busted-ass shoulder. Happily, doing stuff straight overhead doesn’t irritate my slanty-in-the-socket humerus; it was so ON.

Skill
build to a heavy 2 reps of clean-to-thruster (not 2 RM) in 20 minutes

I did 2X2 @ 80# but decided that if I went up to 85# it would be a 2RM* (i.e., not pretty). I stopped at 80# and counted myself fortunate for a… new thruster PR!

WOD: “Quarter Gone Bad”
5 rounds:
:15 thrusters, 55#
:45 rest
:15 jumping pullups
:45 rest
:15 burpees
:45 rest
My total reps: 19 + 19 + 19 + 20 + 21 = 98

Those 19 reps on the first three rounds made me both proud (Look! Consistency!) and annoyed (Really, 19… again?! Why can’t I do just one more f*cking burpee?!). On round 4, determined and sweaty (and making my Roller Derby squinty-eye face), I squeaked out an extra pullup, and HELL, YEAH, ROUND 5: I managed both an extra thruster and an extra burpee.

*Strength training mystery solved… Before this morning, I was unclear on the difference between building to a “heavy 2 reps” versus a “2RM.” Coach Blake laid down the science, which I share because I love you. A 2-rep max (2RM) means you move the weight and complete the lift, but maybe kinda sort, it’s not the prettiest lift in the world. It’s a show of your incredible brute strength, but without the finesse. A heavy 2 reps is the most weight you can lift while maintaining gorgeous, photo-worthy form… or as close as you can approximate to that ideal.

Was today training or resting for you? How did it go?

Tags: ,

21 Responses to “Suck It, Thrusters. New PR!”

1. Sonia says:

I really enjoy thrusters! Thanks for the clarification! Today is an off day for for. Then two days in a row of what ever I got coming:)

2. Today was resting for me…but I did yoga. Does that still count as rest? My lower back has been sore since I accidentally did some too heavy deadlifts…I’m trying to fix it with yoga.

I’m excited for my workout tomorrow though–lots and lots of power cleans! YAY POWER CLEANS!

I’ve always wondered if yoga counts as rest, too. I think it’s borderline. And YAY, power cleans! Have fun tomorrow!

• Melantha says:

I’ve been getting back into a regular Ashtanga (read: vigorous flow-style) yoga practice and could figure out why I was so tired lately… I wasn’t counting yoga as exercise. Oops.

Also “Suck it, thrusters” sounds dirty.

3. Scott Hinson says:

You asked so here goes..

Lifts/Accessory Strength Work:

3×5 285lb Diamond Bar Deadlift
    3×5 315lb Barbell Bridge
    1,1,1,1(fail),1,1 185lb Power Clean

Metcon:

3 rounds, 10 handstand pushups, 20 20″ box jumps. 4:15

I did pretty good on the metcon, first two rounds unbroken. Last round had to break up the HSPU. Last round took almost as long as the first two combined.

Still haven’t tried the melon recipe, but we’ve done grilled okra many times. The CSA has been giving them to us once a week.

Scott
    “Okra Guy”

OKRA GUY! Um, 285 DL sound really hard and that metcon was vicious. Congrats on doing the first two rounds unbroken. That’s superhero stuff!

4. Carley says:

Today was a chipper, and let me tell you Im not feeling very chipper!!!

600 M Run
    25 Deadlift (155#)
    50 Squats
    100 Double unders
    30 Push Jerk (85#)
    1000 M Row
    10 Windshield wipers
    30 GHD sit-ups with a med ball (12#)

I’m going to feel this in the AM!!!

5. Carley says:

Oh I forgot 10 Handstand pushups were in there some where.

Great post! :)

Yesterday for us was:

Workout / Skill Building –

3 deadlifts, then 3 (full depth) squat-cleans – if you let go of the bar at any point, you had to run 400m. You can bet I kept a death grip on that sucker!! I got to 75 lb squat-cleans, which I was wishing for more, but then I thought about it, and realized it’s 45% bodyweight for me! Yay! I’m not sure if it’s a PR or not, it’s been a while since I’ve done them…

Cash out –

5 out-and-back sled pushes/drags across our gnarly waterfront* backlot (~50 ft each way).

*Our new gym is against a quasi-industrial waterfront in Seattle, so one time we were doing presses out there, and this lady I was lifting with said, “Wow, I just feel so gritty and OLD-SCHOOL out here!” LMAO…

7. Lauren says:

I’m dense. Why don’t I understand your WOD explanation…? If you’re doing 15 of each thrusters, pull-ups and burpees why are your total reps 19,19,19,20,21?

• SpeakerScott says:

Lauren,

I think that’s 15 seconds of work, followed by 45 seconds of rest. Little bit of interval* training.

Scott
      “Okra Guy”

*Otherwise known as one of the most agonizing dumbest things on earth, with tons of upside benefits. First rest interval”…this isn’t so bad” Tenth rest interval “…puff puff puff holy…puff I have to move again already??? puff huff puff puff”

8. Walker says:

YAY Mel! and, I love that you wrote “FU thrusters” on the PR white board!

9. Your thrusters are beautiful! And I learn so much watching your form on the cleans!

Today was Oly class with Chad and we worked the snatch. I did really well. Lots of work to do, but I was aggressive and my catch was good. Each set got better as we added weight.

And I didn’t HATE the million overhead squats I did (but don’t tell anyone).

10. ElizabethJ says:

Mel,
    I’m starting Crossfit on Monday. WooooHoooo. It’s been almost a year since my last crossfit workout. i’m super excited. Question for you, how do I subscribe to your blog so that I receive emails when you write a new blog post? Is there a way to do this?