Friday Flashback: My Third Eye

I’ve been blogging here since 2008, and – if I do say so myself – there’s some good stuff in my archive that you might have missed. On Fridays, I’m going to take you on a Friday Flashback and point you to some good stuff from the checkered past of The Clothes Make The Girl.

My Third Eye & Counting Down From 100

Originally posted on July 1, 2008, this post was written the first time I made a real attempt to incorporate a meditation practice into my life. As you’ll see when you read the old post, I did well that day. And that was about it. It just didn’t take. I didn’t make the commitment – mostly because I wasn’t convinced of the benefits.

But this time, I’ve realized that “Do a meditation practice” isn’t a to-do item to be obediently checked off my list. This time there’s a much more immediate impact on how I feel. The unvarnished reality is that if I do yoga or meditate a few times a week, I feel good. More buoyant. More light-hearted. More able to just roll with it. I hear myself laughing more and feel like my face is relaxed. I look younger. I feel ageless.

Make no mistake: I find it completely annoying that that is the case. I didn’t want meditation and yoga to work for me. I wanted desperately to continue to believe that groovy shit is not my thing.

But it is. It’s my thing.

Oh, man. Groovy shit is my thing.

So now I’m the proud owner of a yoga DVD that I will be enjoying every Sunday morning, and I have three guided meditations by Jack Kornfield on mp3 that I will listen to at least every other day.  And I’ll breathe. And I’ll feel myself melt into the floor. And I’ll have less churning thoughts. But I will still wear too much black and say f*ck a lot, damn it.

Should you want to discover if groovy shit is your thing, too… here’s the text of the meditations I’m using, and here’s a $4.99CD with the guided recordings.

Here’s a snippet from my 2008 post:

I’m so proud of myself! I did absolutely nothing for 15 minutes today! I sat in my Glamour Room with only the illumination of the night light, focused on my breathing, visualized the inside of the bridge of my nose… and just drifted.

Flashback to the whole post here:
My Third Eye & Counting Down From 100

Tags:

11 Responses to “Friday Flashback: My Third Eye”

1. Erin says:

Hehe great post! I’m getting back to my meditation practice too. Weird that something so “simple” is so difficult…

2. Jane says:

This Flash Back is pretty inspiring for me. I’d like to add meditation to my life but am pretty intimated given my consistent need to be a Human-Doing vs Being. I’d love to get some advice on mp3′s i can use to ease in… :)

I’m going to put up the mp3s tonight or tomorrow a.m. so you can grab them. Will post an update when they’re ready!

4. Lindsay says:

Thank you for your sweet comments! Your recipes and one other website have basically been our paleo bibles. Your recipes make it so easy. We have so much good food in the house that after the first day I’ve actually felt it’s been super easy to stay on path.

As for recipes, there aren’t actually too many I can think of I want paleo-ized. The only two I can think of off the top of my head may not be able to be made too much healthier. One is meatball stroganoff, which has noodles and sour cream, and the other is my mom’s chicken burritos, which I think are beyond paleo-izing. The are basically chicken in a sour cream, cheese, and zesty onion relish sauce wrapped in a flour tortilla. The anti-thesis of paleo! But since we have minor dairy allergies in the house, we only have those once or twice a year anyway.

As for your post, I would love to try meditating. It’s difficult with a baby in the house though. I may grab the mp3′s when you put them up though.

5. Windy says:

1) is there really such a thing as wearing too much black?
    2) meditating relieves stress and centers us
    3) saying f*** alot is just plain fun/funny thereby relieving stress as well =)

methinks all three are good

Windy –> I like the way you think!

Everyone –> Dave reminded me that it’s probably illegal piracy to post the mp3s I’ve been using for meditation. Sorry about that! I was so eager to share I didn’t think about the legal ramifications. However, if you want to check them out on your own, here’s a link to the TEXT of the meditations I’ve been using:

And you can buy the audio recordings here:

The CD is only $4.99.

Good luck with it!

7. Nancy Chavez says:

I have the Jack Kornfield CD’s. Recommended by a friend. I was a nay sayer for a long, long time but they have really helped. I also wear too much black, ripped jeans and say f*ck a lot, damn it. Great post!

Hell, yeah, Nancy!

I did yoga this morning. And whenever she said, “Place your feet on the earth” instead of “place your feet on the floor,” I gotta admit: I really like it. I fuckin’ liked it!

8. Nancy Chavez says:

Oh, and I am an avid Crossfitter, Crossfit coach, throw lots of iron around.

9. Bo Sabin says:

Jon Kabat-Zinn wrote a great book, ‘Wherever You Go, There You Are’. It’s about being mindful every step of the way…that you can.
    I know, more groovy shit, but I still say f^%$ and some other pretty enlightening terms.
    Badass, groovy chicks rule.