Pain Sandwich On Running Bread

image from flickr.com/photos/kitsa_sakurako

Our workout this morning – another barn-burner designed to help us prep for The Murph next weekend – was a meaty filling of hard work, sandwiched between two 1-mile runs.

Challenging in real-time, it rendered me completely useless for the last few hours. Post workout, I ate breakfast, flopped back into bed, pulled the blanket over my shoulders, and watched Kung Fu Panda on my laptop in preparation for seeing Kung Fu Panda 2 at a matinee this afternoon. I’m still floppy, droopy, creaky, and snoozy. Also, stupid pleased with myself for cranking out five sets of 15 overhead squats.

Our workout:

1 mile run

5 rounds:
5 knees-to-elbows
10 box jumps, 20″
15 OH squats, 45#

1 mile run
My time: 35:12

My sore spots, ranked by descending order of intensity:

• shoulders
  • quads
  • abs
  • forearms

I’m a little terrified of how I’m going to feel post-Murph. I predict another serious nap attack.

7 Responses to “Pain Sandwich On Running Bread”

1. Walker says:

While I understand the theory behind Murph prep, I’m with you on this statement: “I’m a little terrified of how I’m going to feel post-Murph.” I can seriously use the conditioning, but each one of these makes me more and more nervous for the real thing! I mean, I cried after the workout today. Tears.

congrats for a) having the guts to go in otday, and b) completing it!

I made a new commitment to myself in the last few months: no matter what the workout is, I’m going on Monday, Thursday, and Friday. The rest of the week, I’m in charge of my workouts, but on those three days, CFA is my boss. :-)

The Murph and post-Murph will be OK, I think… we just have to hydrate and eat a TON. YAY!

2. Anthony says:

Finishing that last lap today was a Difficult Thing to Do™!

Oh, man. The final lap around the building was my best of the day… but the first 800m meters of the last mile were horrible. I was in a very bleak place. Whew.

3. Walker says:

Update: It is now 4 hours after this workout and I have sweat through my shirt (i mean I showered and everything, just from afterburn), yelled at my boss, cried in a meeting, and am so hungry I would literally eat an an entire horse (if you put the meat on a stick and bbqd it).

Mel I think you were right on. I need a nap.

Oh, honey! You need a giant snack and an even giant-er nap.

Dave and I were going to see music tonight. Instead we’re in our pajamas, getting takeout stir-fry, and watching a movie.

Butts = kicked.

4. Amy says:

I’m super nervous for Murph! I’m definitely planning on getting tons of sleep and water during the days leading up – hoping it will pay off. Yikes!