Right On Time

Pretty great message, right?!

I don’t know about you, but if I’m not careful, I can mindlessly toss myself into the spin cycle of regret, churning on things like…

I wish I’d never abandoned my old web site; I’d be so much further along by now!

I can’t believe I lost more than a year to this stupid thyroid stuff. It’s like I’ve been running in place for a year! Why even bother eating clean and training so hard if my body isn’t going to change?

Why did we move to Austin? How will we ever get back to the Bay area? We should never have left the houseboat.

Why did I wait so long to start strength training? I’d be so much stronger/leaner/better now if I’d started sooner.

There is zero value in that kind of thought. Everything we experience – whether we like it or not – moves us forward.

That old web site helped me land my first “big time” job, and that job – along with all those that followed – taught me tons of things I use every day to make my current blog better… and to keep a roof over my head while I transform from corporate overlords’ minion to barn-burnin’ blogger.

The thyroid stuff has taught me patience, along with compassion for myself and others. It’s also forced me to separate my self-worth from my weight, my advancement in the gym, and the number of to-do items I can check off in one day. I don’t like the way I learned these lessons, but I’m grateful for the knowledge.

We’re feeling the itch to escape Austin’s heat and languid approach to life – and I desperately miss the scenery and temperatures of the San Francisco Bay – but Austin granted us many gifts: time to play music, time to write, best-quality friends, a cute little house, and a manageable lifestyle that allows us to try things with low risk… which is very difficult to do while working 12+ hours per day just to pay rent. (I’m looking at you, San Francisco.)

I started strength training at the exact moment I was ready to start strength training. It took a while for me to warm up to the idea because that damn monster that’s always sneaking around behind me thought I wouldn’t be able to handle it. That I didn’t have the time. That I should be running for hours instead. As soon as I realized the monster was wrong, I was at the gym, in my Converse, racking the bar.

Right on time.

Each action happened just when it was supposed to – and each reaction came when it should.

I love the phrase “And now is right on time” in Tyson’s quote.

Now. Here. Things are happening. Right on time.

Tags:

18 Responses to “Right On Time”

1. Dana says:

Great reminder! I sometimes catch myself wondering how strong I could be if I’d started strength training in my 20s instead of my 30s. But you’re right, that gets you nowhere. And it’s the right time now — probably wasn’t then.

2. Susan says:

Your message was “Right on Time” for me this morning. It put me in the right frame of mind as I’m slugging away for the Corporate Overlords in the SF Bay Area! Thanks for all that you do!

Susan! Maybe we should magically switch for a day: you work for my corporate overlords in Austin, and I’ll hang out with yours in SF.

3. Deb says:

Thank you so much for posting this! It’s a great reminder that everything happens at the right time, for the right reason. It’s God’s time, not mine!

4. Could not have read this at a more appropriate time. Thanks for sharing!

5. PaleoErin says:

Great post! Thanks for the reminder! :) *hugs*

6. Janet NZ says:

Clever girl! – and the reminder comes at the perfect time for me :-)
    You are an inspiration and I am enjoying your blog as I start my Primal journey… which I wish I had started YEARS ago :-)

7. Mary says:

Love this! It is similar to my favorite quote from the Bhagavad Gita: “No effort on this path is wasted”.

8. Stacey says:

This was good for me today! Thanks for posting

9. k!m says:

Awesome little eye-opener! Just what I needed, just when I needed it. Thanks…

10. Jeanye says:

Here’s another quote to add to your list: Wherever you are is perfect, even when it’s not.

Thank you for your faithful, honest blogs. They are so helpful to so many.

11. Jen says:

Humbling and inspiring…..just the way a good b-slap should be. Which is exactly what this post did to me today. Many thanks to you for your wisdom and insight.

12. tirzah says:

That quote totally fits my life right now. Awesome!

13. Jill says:

I just officially entered my mid-thirties and have been feeling lost since there isn’t a single aspect of my life that is where I thought it would be. After reading this post and I realize that I wouldn’t change any of the experiences that I’ve had and that not only have they molded me to be the person I am now I’m exactly where I should and need to be. THANK YOU!!!

14. [...] Vision Right on Time The Impulsive Buy: Lessons in Hyperpalatibility Family Style Frittatas Incorporation of Strongman [...]

15. [...] 27, 2011 Today’s post was inspired by a post that I read over at my favourite blog – The Clothes Make the Girl. It was the first thing I read today and it was the perfect thing to see at the perfect time. I [...]

16. [...] Today’s post was inspired by a post that I read over at my favourite blog – The Clothes Make the Girl. It was the first thing I read today and it was the perfect thing to see at the perfect time. I [...]