Mediterranean Tuna Salad

One of the things I love about spices and other seasonings is that – much like a good book – they can take you somewhere else in the world. When I mixed up a batch of tuna with lemon, black olives, mint, and piquant peppers, I was no longer in hot-and-humid Austin. For just a little while, I was on holiday, along the sunny coast of the Mediterranean, enjoying a light lunch before a jaunt along the coast on a scooter (wearing a really cute sundress, giant sunglasses, and a scarf on my hair).

Take your tastebuds on a tour!

Ingredients:

1 can tuna, preferably packed in olive oil (my favorite brand)
a few black olives (I used 5 or so)
1-2 banana peppers, sliced into rings
5 fresh mint leaves or 1/4 tsp dried mint (or both!)
1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
1-2 tablespoons homemade mayo

Directions:

1. Place tuna in a small bowl and break up with fork.

2. Add everything except the mayo and mix ’til well-blended. Taste to see if you need to adjust the seasonings.

3. Add the mayo and gently stir ’til just combined.

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “Mediterranean Tuna Salad”

1. Brittany says:

Yummmm. I just made your other delicious tuna salad for lunch today (green onions, apples, mustard), but this is definitely next on the list.

Sounds like the perfect lunch for a hot spring day!

Thanks, as always!
    B.

2. Tracey says:

Yum! What do you like to eat with it..carrots?? Or do you just serve it in lettuce leaves?

I usually pile it on a plate in the middle of a bunch of raw veggies. My favorites are snap peas, jicama, cucumber slices, and red pepper strips. And, yes, carrots are good, too!

3. sarena says:

Love me some jicama too. I have been mashing avocado into my tuna, add some Himalayan sea salt, a bit of fresh parsley, chopped scallion or chives and Lemon juice. And we are good to go!

4. GiGi says:

This is down right delicious looking! I’d probably eat about 2 pounds of it in a sitting – ha ha, hello fish overload, eh what the heck! LOL

5. Patricia says:

Can not wait to try. I think Friday.

6. Ludona H. Smith says:

I’ve never tried jicama. Would love to.
    Sarena, I’ve been doing the avocado mash, etc into my tuna lately. Lovin’it!

Great new mediterranean slant. Can’t wait.

7. Sharon Prassa says:

What makes this salad great is the Italian tuna you use. Any time one is going to use tuna as a feature in a cold dish, it has to be Italian tuna.

8. Charlene says:

Just found your site today. Tried both this tuna salad and your Lebanese Onion and Parsley Salad. Both were great! I sliced a good baguette in half, toasted it a little and had a great tuna salad sandwich. Will definitely be making this again. Thank you!

9. Erin says:

I am sitting at my desk at work so sad because I just finished eating this for lunch… It was so good I’m sad it’s over! I subbed oil cured black olives, they were so good. I put it all in butter lettuce leaves (which I had left over from my spring salad this past weekend from the farmer’s market) and it was delicious! I could seriously eat this every day. Thank you!!!!!

I’m sorry you’re sad, but I’m happy you like it that much. YAY!

I made tuna with jalapenos, fresh blackberries, and scallions yesterday… then stuffed it into bell pepper halves. I was really sad when it was over, too — and now I’m out of mayo!!! (!!!). That is a major kitchen fail, but we’re going on vacation for a week on Saturday. Would it be wrong to make mayo, then try to eat all of it between now and Saturday?!

10. Sam says:

I just made this for lunch and it’s delicious!! We didn’t have any mint so I used basil instead. I love the heat of the banana peppers and the saltiness of the olives. Thanks for the recipe!

11. Maggie says:

Sorry to be off-topic, but where was that gorgeous seaside photo taken?

I wish I could tell you! It’s just a photo I grabbed online somewhere before I really knew what I was doing. (Now I know to credit sources, etc ;-)

12. Maggie says:

Silly me. I just discovered that if you hover your mouse over the picture it tells you where it is…Atrani, Amalfi Coast, Italy!

13. [...] Italian Antipasto platter (Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan) (Mediterranean Tuna Salad) [...]

14. […] this week, I’m going to alternate between salads w/ hard boiled eggs as my protein and a mediterranean tuna salad from Clothes Make the Girl. For the tuna salad, I’m going to make my own mayo so wish me […]

15. […] Recipe of the Day - This will take a few minutes to prepare and can be eaten for a few days in a row.  I love to make tuna or chicken salad on the weekend and eat it for the first part of the week whenever I don’t have a good alternative. […]