Celebrate The Big 43 With Me

image from mezzoblue.com

Tomorrow is my 43rd birthday. I’m not entirely sure how that can be since I feel about 17-and-a-half on the inside. I’m sure there’s been some kind of addition error, like when I calculate the weight of the barbell wrong because I’ve got the CrossFit stupids. That must be it! The universe is CrossFit drunk and is all confused about my age.

For now, I’m accepting that 43 is my actual chronological age. Here are other silly things to know about the number 43:

• It’s the 14th smallest prime number.
  • It’s the atomic number for technetium, a silvery radioactive medal.
  • It’s the code for international calls to Austria.
  • It’s a major freeway in Wisconsin.

Anyway… aside from my lackluster strength training workout on Tuesday, I’ve been “resting” this week… which really means I slept in most mornings and didn’t get sweaty. To get back in the training groove, I ran intervals around the lake this morning – 1:00 on/1:00 off for 20 minutes, then 20-second sprints on the minute for six minutes – which reminded that I like to move. I feel like myself again!

So…

Tomorrow morning (before I eat a slice of non-paleo, homemade coconut layer cake), I’m celebrating with a 43-ified workout – including 43 burpees… ’cause what’s a birthday without burpees?

The Melicious 43rd Birthday Workout

43 burpees

4X3 overhead press
4X3 back squat
4X3 deadlift

43 med ball situps
4X :30 plank

Join me! Do 43 burpees tomorrow, then shoot me an email – or even better, a photo! – and let me know where you did them and how much fun it was! It will be like we all celebrated together.

image from forums.tomisimo.org

20 Responses to “Celebrate The Big 43 With Me”

1. Barbara says:

Happy Birthday Mel! It’s a pleasure knowing you and sometimes getting to sweat with ya :D.

43 burpees will be had tomorrow at the gym.

Hugs..

B

2. Steph says:

Thanks for the inspiration (always, but this one is particularly well-timed). I’m going to start a Whole30 tomorrow, as well as a modified version of Kill Your TV (I’ve never owned a TV, but do need to cut down on my computer time). All kinds of things to make a fresh start with tomorrow.
    Happy Birthday! (where I live, it’s already your birthday)

3. Pensguys says:

Happy Early Birthday!!! I love your blog and can’t wait to read it each day. Thanks for being such a great role model.

Penny

P.S. I’m 43 and have a bday in July. I fully believe we get better with age. :)

BARBARA! Thank you for the birthday wishes. Have fun with the burpees tomorrow — I know how much you love them ;-)

Steph –> I’m doing a Whole30 and the TV-killin’ too… we can do it together! I have to do a clean-up after the cake I’m eating tomorrow… and I find I just feel more peaceful overall when I’m eating really clean. I like the “rules” of the Whole30. Thanks for the ‘Happy Birthday.’

Penny –> I agree — forties aren’t so bad. I definitely wouldn’t actually go back to be a teenager. Although I do hope I live to be at least 100.

5. Lynn says:

Have a wonderful birthday – just turned 42 earlier this month myself! :) Thanks for being a healthy inspiration!

6. The kids were at the grandparents overnight and what did I do with my free morning?

The Melicious 43rd Birthday Workout!

Yes, I modified some of the moves (e.g. burpees on knees) and it took forever but I finished!

Happy Birthday! You’re totally awesome — who else creates a badass workout on her birthday? Much respect.

Nom Nom Paleo! Hello! Congrats on the workout… and thanks for joining me in my birthday silliness!

I just finished eating eggs scrambled with bouquet garni, crispy turkey bacon, and fresh pineapple with coconut milk. As soon as it’s digested, I’m hitting the gym. Yay, burpees!

Lynn –> Congrats on your 42nd! Forty is the new 20, after all :-)

9. Patty says:

Happy Birthday Mel!! I’ll be 53 in August and so far, this is my favorite age. So I think you have lots to look forward to!! I hope to be around when you are 100, so I can call you a youngin’. :-) I can’t join you in your workout because (a)I did one on Friday and it still hurts to stand up, and (b) I’m just not that bad-ass…yet. Hope your b’day is the best yet!

Thanks, Patty! I love the idea of us doing burpees together in our 90s. Cool, right?! Congrats on a workout that you’re still feeling. I love that!

11. Amanda J. says:

Happy Birthday Mel!
    You got 3 of us here in CO to do your WOD. Well I kinda talked the other girls at the gym into doing it with me. Not sure I have ever done that many Burpees in a row!
    Thank you for all your inspiration, keep it coming!
    Have a great day and enjoy your cake.

Amanda –> That is SO awesome! I love that you recruited burpee partners! Congrats on a new burpee PR, too! Wish I could send you some of my cake.

13. Laura Anne says:

Happy Happy Birthday!!! I’ll be 32 on Wednesday and Im gonna try try try (no DO!) 32 Burpees on Wednesday.
    Thank you so much for your blog and words. The Soldier (aka, husband, Steveo…) is away for 2 months and he’s the leader of the Paleo diet and workouts so I am loving all of the inspiration while he is gone!!!
    Have a wonderful birthday!!!

Laura Anne –> Happy Almost Birthday! You can TOTALLY do 32 burpees. Have fun!

15. Janet says:

Happy Birthday Mel! I discovered your website about 2 months ago when my Crossfit group started a Paleo challenge. I check your site often and have tried many of your recipes (which have all been fabulous by the way!) Coco Chanel on destiny! to post this proves you are wise beyond your years.
    If 40 is the new 20…. then I just turned 40 in October.
    Life is good, I’m sure you’ll agree!

Thank you, Janet! I’m so glad you found me — and that you like the recipes. How awesome is that Chanel quote?! I think of it every day when I’m walking from the bus to my office… just keepin’ an eye out for my destiny.

17. Lisa says:

Did my Monday morning Crossfit workout, and followed it up with 43 burpees, in your honor! (In smaller sets, I am terrible at burpees. Need to do them in the dark!) Wishing you the best year ever–and another 60 or so to come. Your blog and recipes keeps me going, thanks so much.

Hey, Lisa! Congrats on the 43 burpees! I broke mine up to… 10 at a time with about a 3-count of huffing and puffing in between. I hope to be around at least another 60 — and I’ll keep writing here and cooking new recipes. Thanks for reading!

19. Steve says:

Obviously a guy here. Turning 43 today. Just surfed looking for encouragement on celebrating this year of b-day. Maybe I will eat some technetium so I can glow;) I’m so looking forward to this year. Listen to this past year of 42 so you can understand why I want to really celebrate this day. I lost both parents, my job, my dog of 15 years and last but not least, my wife was severely depressed contemplating suicide during all of that. What a year. Everything is on the amends thank God and turning around. Every day is a blessing and life is so short. My workout today is a hundred mile ride with my son and taking my family to a concert tonight. Thanks for letting me post this. Helps with the healing process. Happy belated birthdays to all. And have a good year.

Steve, thank you so much for commenting. Happy birthday to you and many heartfelt wishes for a better year ahead. It really seems sometimes like the universe is just, like, “You survived that; how about THIS.” I hope you had a wonderful bike ride and a super-fun concert experience. Keep us posted on how you’re doing!