It was kind of a lackluster performance at the ol’ craptastic gym on Tuesday. Some days are just like that.
The workout was a “strength recovery workout,” so the weights were only 60% of max, which was fine by me because I wasn’t feeling very superhero-esque anyway. Between us friends, it was kind of a relief to just lift some medium-heavy stuff at a leisurely pace. Until the second set of squats and all of the deadlifts! Then leisurely turned torturous.
Coach Wes and his tempos!
In case you’re unfamiliar with the tempo thing (I have to look it up in my notes every time), here’s an explanation:
- 2 seconds on the “down” or eccentric movement
- 0 seconds at the bottom
- X no prescribed speed on the work movement
- 3 seconds at the “top” or isometric hold
Strength Recovery Day – April 26, 2011
3X5 press @ 20X3 @ 60% = 50#
4X5 squat @ 42X0 @ 60% = 95#
4X5 deadlift @ 23X1 @ 60% = 120#
Five cool things about this workout:
1. I finished it.
2. There was something very satisfying about sitting at the bottom of the squat with the demon for four seconds. “Hey, demon! How’s it going? Say hi to your mother for me.”
3. I finished it.
4. I remembered to wear knee socks so the deadlifts didn’t scrape my shins. (You know it’s kind of a lame day when the best you can say about your workout is that you wore the right socks.)
5. I finished it.
One Response to “Strength Training Tuesday: 4/26/11”
Post a comment
Like what you've read? Got something to say? Lay it on me!