Should You Eat That Coconut Butter?

Change “cookie” to “spoon of coconut butter” and we’ve got a winner!

[source]

17 Responses to “Should You Eat That Coconut Butter?”

1. Valerie says:

I was thinking about finding some coconut butter after Melissa mentioned it during the seminar…. maybe better hold off on that for later after the Whole 30!?
    LOL

2. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Hey, Valerie! Coconut butter is good, but in my opinion, it's not, like, 'tear down the walls' good. It's another nice option for fat intake. I don't think it's a danger food, but maybe that's just me ;-)

3. Valerie says:

Okay I'll give it a try and if it turns into a "problem" I'll bring it over to you ;-)

4. Jen says:

I've never had coconut butter before so I flexed my fingers, hit the google machine and found a recipe to make some homemade.

Oh hello – It's AWESOME. I feel so out of the loop, but I'm glad I'm finally in it!

5. Pensguys says:

Any particular brand of coconut butter? I saw some at EarthFare (like whole foods) but I bought coconut OIL since I've been using that for cooking.

6. Trixie says:

LOL..what happens when all you want is coconut butter and not the cookie?? I swear I could eat my weight in coconut butter:)

7. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Valerie –> I hope I have not just created a (coconut butter) monster!

Jen –> You made homemade! Share the link, please.

Pensguys –> I've only been able to find Artisana locally, so that's what I eat. http://www.amazon.com/Artisana-Organic-Coconut-Butter-16oz/dp/B000WV153I?ie=UTF8&tag=roltheboo-20

Trixi –> I agree that in most cases, coconut butter is way better than cookies (with the exception of my russian teacakes).

8. Pensguys says:

YES! This is the brand I found! I was scared to buy it. ;) Do you use it to cook or just eat? :)

9. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

I just eat it… coconut oil is much better for cooking. I have one special-occasion recipe that uses coconut butter for the frosting on a paleo pumpkin cake but other than that, I just eat a little spoonful — maybe 1/2 to 1 tablespoon — as a fat snack.

10. Pensguys says:

Honey, hush! I need that recipe! Can you post or email it to me? pensguys @ comcast . net (take out spaces.

11. Jen says:

It's so easy peasy!!

I did have to add a tiny amount of coconut oil to mine, but it's so good!

12. Pensguys says:

Now I just need that paleo Pumpkin cake recipe. ;)

13. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Find the pumpkin cake recipe here –>

But you have to promise to eat it only on special occasions — cake, even if it's made from paleo ingredients, isn't an everyday food.

14. Pensguys says:

Scout's honor! ;) I promise….I'm trying to lose some Christmas pounds where I faltered and felt like CRAP for a week as I got myself together, so this will DEFINITELY be a special occasion only…mainly because I can see myself overdoing it if it were any other time.

15. DagneyTaggert says:

I'll take the two cookies AND the coconut butter.

16. themurr says:

That flow chart is awesome. Cookies are about 80% of the reason I learned to bake. Sadly I'm on another round of healthy eating so no cookies until february at least.

P.S. Anyone who says cookies are a sometimes food is dead to me.

17. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Themurr –> Let me know when you're ready, and I'll share the best gluten-free, grain-free (but sadly, not sugar-free) cookies EVER. Seriously. I made them at Xmas, and they were phenomenal. Hint: They're macaroons and include two kinds of nuts!