Let’s Talk Turkey

This year, we’re having a Mostly Dino-Chow Thanksgiving™. Everything on our table will be dino-chow-approved with two significant exceptions: we’re imbibing (Imbibing!) Czech beer, pink Prosecco, and Becherovka… and we’re indulging in a homemade dessert.

Here’s our menu:

Nibbles While We Play Board Games
Spiced Nuts
Spiced Olives
Crudité plate with herb olive oil for dipping

Dinner
Roast duck with sausage and apple stuffing
Green beans with olive oil and garlic
Braised red cabbage with chestnuts
Oven-fried sweet potatoes with thyme (I typed that three times as oven-friend!)
Cranberry Waldorf Salad
Paleo Cranberry Sauce

Dessert
Paleo pumpkin cake with vanilla frosting
Decadent apple crisp with homemade vanilla bean ice cream

We could easily have done this 100% paleo without the “real” dessert and the adult beverages, but I like the idea of indulging a little bit on special occasions. Plus, Dave is an excellent baker and chose his recipe very carefully.

I have two questions for you:
1. What are y’all doing for Thanksgiving?
2. I can share recipes for all of the above this week. Which do you want to see?

Gobble! Gobble!

12 Responses to “Let’s Talk Turkey”

1. Lydia says:

1. I'm staying home in my PJs. We may or may not have a few friends over for food and movies. I already planned to make your Waldorf Salad that got posted on Whole9! It looks delicious.

2. I'm begging you for the duck recipe. I am a failure at roasting turkeys (I've tried, oh how I've tried) and need an alternative.

2. Becky says:

I love these ideas Mel! I'd love to see the paleo pumpkin cake recipe, as well as the green beans with olive oil and garlic. Thanks!

3. Anonymous says:

1. I'm going home to the family. I'm avoiding the stuffing and rolls and luckily the rest of the veggies are steamed, a salad, and a small indulgence on sweet potatoes. :)

2. I'd love to see the sweet potato and pumpkin recipes. I've made those nuts you have pictured and they are delish!!!

Thank you for all the work on the recipes!

4. Elizabeth says:

pumpkin, pretty please !!!!

5. kim says:

Um…ALL of them?! They all sound delicious, but if I had to choose just a couple then the oven fried sweet potatoes and the cranberry waldorf salad please.

Happy Turkey Day to you!

6. Michelle@Life with Three says:

I'm cooking for Thanksgiving but haven't gotten the menu together yet. I'd love to see the recipes for the Cranberry Waldorf Salad and the Oven Fried Sweet Potatoes.

7. Lauren says:

oh my gosh, my one true czech love, Becherovka! Enjoy it, lady! As my friends and I used to say, "It tastes like CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!" :0)

8. Danni says:

That looks really good. I'm headed to Canada (Banff) to Thanksgiving and having cheese fondue on Thanksgiving itself (yeah not dino-friendly) but on Friday we're having "Yanksgiving" at my friends' house. I plan to make brussel sprouts and creamed spinach as my contribution. I'd love your braised red cabbage recipe.

9. morten_g says:

The duck! Love duck…

What board games btw?

10. jencereghino says:

Duck for sure! I love it, but have never cooked it.

And, for the first time in four years, we're staying home…no traveling, just the two of us. I'm definitely going to be missing my family, but it will also be nice to just be home.

11. Anonymous says:

woohoo!! all of the recipes! never cooked duck but i want to as i saw it in Whole Foods the other day.

12. Molly HodgePodge says:

1) Will be in Big Bend – eating smoked turkey breast and veggies.

2) I'd love to see the cabbage recipe (do you use bacon grease like my mother does? Deeelish!).