Moroccan Grilled Salmon

Cook’s Illustrated… is there anything they don’t know?! This recipe is from The Best Recipe: Grilling and Barbecue.

Marinade Ingredients:
Makes enough for about 1.5 lbs. of salmon fillets

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:
1. Mix the oil, ginger, cumin, coriander, salt, and cayenne together in a small bowl. The marinade makes a paste with the consistency of very thick salad dressing. It forms a crust during grilling that’s crispy and flavorful.

2. Rub the marinade over the salmon, then cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.

3. Preheat gas grill on high with lid closed for about 10 minutes, then place salmon skin-side down, close the lid and wait 4 minutes. Raise the grill lid… the skin should be a little blackened and starting to separate a bit from the pink flesh. Take a deep breath, gather your confidence, and flip! the fillet. Breath a sigh of relief, close the lid, and wait another 3-5 minutes, depending on how well-done you like your salmon.  (Wary of the flip? You can cut a large fillet into individual servings before grilling, but where’s the adventure in that?!)

4. Remove from the grill and eat like a cave person.

Photographic evidence: Halfway done. That’s the skin-side, right after I flipped ‘em like Julia Child.

Ready to eat.

This is delicious with Moroccan Orange Salad and/or avocado-mango salsa (1 mango + 1 avocado + 1/4 red onion + cilantro & lime juice to taste).

I’m excited to once again join the punk rock foodies on Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade.

Tags: , , ,

31 Responses to “Moroccan Grilled Salmon”

1. girlblake says:

I can attest to the amazingness of this recipe. I've honestly never had salmon so good. The crust from the seasoning really made it sing. Mel's like a wizard in the kitchen.

2. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Sweet talker! Thanks, Blake.

All credit must go to Cook's Illustrated and my reading comprehension skills. No cooking wizardry involved. ANYONE can make this. Really, people. YOU can make this. Easy-peasy.

3. suzanne says:

This was amazing! Can't wait to make it again for friends.

4. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Hey, Suzanne! I'm glad you liked it!

I'm thinking about trying to make salmon salad with leftovers today… homemade mayo, salmon, a squeeze of lemon, and a bed of field greens. I'll let you know how it turns out.

5. Steph H says:

I wish I could eat fish. I have tried and tried and just can't get my head around it.

very sad,
    steph h

6. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Use the marinade on skinless, boneless chicken thighs. Grill 4-5 minutes per side on high heat with the lid closed. Eat with orange salad. Enjoy!

7. [...] Moroccan grilled salmon with mango-avocado salsa. This is one of those recipes that makes changing our eating habits [...]

8. [...] Moroccan Grilled Salmon (www.clothesthatmakethegirl.com) [...]

9. [...] It’s that good. No changes, a direct lift from Mel’s awesome Moroccan Salmon recipe at The Clothes Make the Girl website. Here it [...]

10. VSkribble says:

Confession – As much as I love to cook, I’m probably the least competent at cooking my favorite food – fish. That is, until I tried this recipe. I had one of those “Damn this is good!” out loud moments. I liked the marinade so much that I made more and rubbed it all over the veggies I was grilling too. Thank you thank you thank you Melicious! This recipe will be on heavy rotation for sure!

Note: With your addition of paprika in the cookbook version, I personally would cut down on the salt a little, but that’s just me :)

Right on! Glad to hear that you had fish-cooking success — and yeah, that marinade is pretty awesome. Moroccan spices are just so flexible and friendly.

11. siddiqa says:

this sounds really yumm…i cook a lot of pakitani food and this seems like something my family would really enjoy … do you have any ideas for bbq-ing white fish?

12. Kelley F says:

Made this last night on charcoal grill. Turned out perfect – crispy and yummy. The salmon marinated while the coals got hot. Thanks for sharing. I, too, am I Cook’s Illustrated fan and have several of their books & old mags. I should re-read.

13. Dee says:

Ahhh! I made this tonight for a crowd and it was amazing. Everyone, but everyone, was begging to know where I found the recipe.

14. Andryea says:

This sounds (and looks) like a yummy recipe. I wonder… Do you think this recipe could be successful with another alternative cooking method? Broiling? Baking? Cuz I don’t have a grill :-(

15. Kathryn says:

Used your cookbook recipe, which I think only differs with coconut oil, and broiled the salmon and served it with the orange salad. Excellent!! Your recipes never disappoint!! Thanks for another great dinner!!

16. [...] Moroccan Grilled Salmon and Balsamic [...]

17. Susan says:

Just made this in the oven, 350 for 15 minutes, and it was fabulous! My new favorite salmon recipe–looking forward to trying the rub on chicken!

18. [...] Moroccan Grilled Salmon, from The Clothes Make the Girl [...]

19. Sandra says:

Is this a spicy dish? I am sensitive to too much heat, but the reviews sound so good I’d like to try this!

It’s not hot, but if you’re sensitive, you might just skip the cayenne pepper. It will still taste great with just the other spices.

20. Annie says:

I got some sockeye on sale and decided to try this. I was a little afraid of the ‘flip’, but it was easy. Awesome.

21. michele b. says:

My family loves this recipe! So good with the Moroccan Orange Salad!

22. Natalia says:

Hi Melissa,
    In your first Well Fed cookbook, I noticed that sometimes you list dried ginger and sometimes powdered ginger. Do both of these mean the same thing?

23. Lisa says:

Mel–
    I received my Well Fed 2 yesterday, and I am pretty excited! I have the chicken that Nom Nom shared all set for tomorrow. But I have been meaning to tell you for some time that between this Moroccan salmon and the stove top carnitas, my 11 year old son would be happy forever. I am usually making one or the other EVERY WEEK. I still have work to do to get him to eat vegetables, but no problem on the meat front, at least not with your recipes. Thank you so much. He doesn’t even think of it as paleo, he thinks of it as GOOD (and so do I. We never have enough leftovers.) I can’t wait to make it through WF2!!

I love the idea of an 11-year-old demanding Moroccan salmon. That’s the awesomest.

Hope you find new favorites in Well Fed 2. Happy cooking!

24. mario says:

Anything that is cooked,grilled or by any other cooking method should have the side cooked first that’s is presented upward. In this case the salmon is presented skin side down when plated, so it should be cooked skin side up first. I you are worried about the salmon stocking to the grill,oil it . It will release as soon as it’s ready to be turned. It’s three don’t way with all grilled mats that have a tendency to stick to the grill, as soon as they are ready to be turned the meat will realease from the grill.

25. Elsa says:

Has anyone tried this recipe using the oven or broiler? Any recommendations for temperature/time? Thank you!

• John says:

Hi Lisa,

While I haven’t made the recipe yet, I would assume you should be able to make it in the broiler with no problem.

Most broilers have the Hi/Lo settings. I would set my rack on the middle or the next one up (hope that makes sense). I would just check it every few minutes to make sure its cooking well (if you need a time, I would use the one provided in the recipe, but still keep an eye on it). If needed, for the last few minutes, you could even raise the salmon to the top rake to get that charred/crisped on the salmon.

26. Elsa says:

Oh! Just saw my question answered above. On another note – what veggie side dishes do you recommend to go with this?

27. John says:

Did you score the salmon to ensure the rub stays on or does it stick pretty well on its own?