Sesame Nori Chips

Sometimes I want to chow down like a teenager: just lie in front of the TV watching something craptastic, and snarf a crispy, salty snack.

But my ever-present adult voice knows that no amount of salty goodness will ever recreate that fleeting combination of utter lack of responsibility and complete, open possibility.

Doesn’t mean I won’t try, though.

One could argue, I suppose, that I should be past mindless, indulgent snacking – that all meals and snacks should be deliberately consumed, with full consciousness of the activity, eaten at the dining table with a napkin on my lap.

What.ever.

Most days, I eat my breakfast doing the “get ready for work hustle,” I eat lunch with a knife and fork in the corporate overlords’ kitchen, I eat dinner at the table with my handsome husband, and eat snacks where and when I can: at the running track, in the car, on the bed, walking from one meeting to the next.

I’ve given up just about every other vice; once in a while, I eat like an animal, and I like it.

A few weeks ago, The Minimalist in The New York Times offered a recipe for chips made from nori. I tried the recipe as written and with some variations; one of my variations was a late bloomer that eventually won me over.

The chips do NOT taste like potato chips. The Minimalist mentioned potato chips so many times in his piece, I think my expectations were inappropriately set. So let me repeat: These do NOT taste like potato chips.

However, they are crispy. They’re salty. And with the addition of sesame seeds, they’re pretty darned tasty. Plus, each sheet has just 10 calories, 1 gram of carbohydrate, and 1 gram of protein. But they do NOT taste like potato chips.

The first one I ate caught me by surprise, and I wasn’t sure I liked it. But then I banished the idea of potato chips from my mind (These do NOT taste like potato chips.), and ate a few more. Then I decided they were pretty good – and a great option when hormone poisoning is making me want to storm, ransack, plunder, and pillage the “Salty Snacks” aisle at HEB. They also have the added bonus of taking just 15 minutes to make, so they’re a good emergency snack.
Nori Chips (that do NOT taste like potato chips)
Each sheet of nori makes approx. 8-10 chips.

Ingredients:
Nori sheets, find ‘em in the sushi case of a regular grocery store
Sea salt
Sesame seeds
Garlic powder *see note below
Olive oil or Pam organic olive oil spray

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 250 degrees.

2. Lay a sheet of nori on a cutting board. Wet your hand in the tap, then spritz the nori with the water from your hand. Your goal is to make the nori pliable enough to fold in half, but not to soggy it starts to turn back into seaweed. Err on the side of too little; you can easily add more. Sprinkle the nori with sea salt, and fold the sheet in half. The water should make the two halves stick together so you have a double-thick chip. If it doesn’t stick, spritz with a little more water. (You can also brush with water or use a spray bottle, but why involve another tool? As much as possible, food prep should be done with your hands.)

3. Use kitchen shears or a very sharp knife to cut the nori sheets into strips. I cut mine into eighths, but it really doesn’t matter.

4. Transfer strips to a cookie sheet in a single layer. Spray with the organic Pam spay or brush with olive oil. (Again, you can use your fingers to apply the oil), then sprinkle with a garlic powder and sesame seeds.

You can see my attempts at other flavors: sesame, plain garlic,
and plain salt. Sesame was definitely the best.

5. Bake them for about 15 to 20 minutes; they will crisp and turn a lovely dark, glossy green.

6. When chips are done, let them cool and then crunch! crunch! crunch!
A note about garlic powder:
Read the labels! Some varieties include MSG and other crap. I like McCormick California Style Coarse Grind Blend Garlic Powder with Parsley. The ingredients? Garlic, sunflower oil, parsley. Sprinkle with abandon!

Tags: , , , ,

18 Responses to “Sesame Nori Chips”

1. Catherine Hart Rebholz says:

Oh, I'm making these! Not only did I happen to just buy some Nori Sheets, but I also just burnt my zucchini chip attempt. I was trying to make zucchini chips to satisfy the exact feeling you describe. I'm on it!

2. Melicious says:

I'll be excited to hear what you think. I'm kind of curious now and want to try them with different seasonings… or spritzing with that wheat-free tamari sauce instead of water… hmmmmm.

3. Amber says:

I like kale chips, though they're a pain to get just right. These sound neat! Any vehicle for sesame seeds sounds good to me ;)

4. anniebug says:

YUM! Nori anything…I will nom nom nommmm all over. Delish!

5. Melanie says:

So good !! (I <3 nori and am in sushi withdrawal.. obvs need to make some Paleo sushi rolls soon)..! Next time I will experiment using toasted sesame oil instead of olive oil and see what happens!

6. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Between this comment and the salad idea, you've made me crave nori chips. I'm definitely going to have to make them again. Thanks for the reminder!

7. Anonymous says:

I am going to try this…Thanks
    Vinee

8. Kelly says:

I’ve made these twice since you’ve posted! I’ve only bought the seaweed chips, never made them on my own. They are GREAT sprinkled with wasabi powder too. It goes well with the flavor of the seaweed. Thanks for the idea!

I’ve been thinking I need to revisit these. I made them so long ago — before my taste buds had really committed to clean eating. I’ve been making kale chips a lot, but I think I’m going to give the nori another try. Thanks for the tip on the wasabi — can’t wait to try it!

10. Miranda says:

Thank you so much for the nori chips recipe. I have been craving something crunchy and chip like. I just made them and my 4 year old keeps asking for more. I will definitely try other seasonings and will make the kale chips this weekend.

11. [...] other day, however, I bought some nori papers because I wanted to make these (which are amazing by the way).  I had a bunch of papers left over, so I decided to use some [...]

12. Eleanor says:

Thank you so much- watched the Mark Bittman video but your explanation was clearer. Looking forward to the ( not potato chip) chips !!

13. Stuart Woolger says:

This is the first recipie I’ve tried out of your fab book and they are great. I do miss chips (crisps as we call them in the UK) and these fill that gap!

I lied.. I did your scotch eggs from the free PDF preview chapter of your book ….

They were amazing and sold the book to me :-)

Great work Mel,
    From your UK fan club :-)

Hooray! Glad you like them! That salty crunch is pretty good, right?! Plus, extra bonus of them being nutrition packed!

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you’re enjoying the recipes!

14. Tina says:

So, I bought some pre-made wasabi nori chips the other day and LOVED them. I tried to make some today, but I don’t think I did it right. Mixed the wasabi powder with olive oil then spread it on the cut nori strips. Anyone know the best way to do it?

15. [...] home and I ate them for first dinner while I was waiting for JJ to get home. She didnt even eat the Nori Chips!! JJ had those for post dinner snack. Just the fruit. Banana, 2 passionfruit, pineapple and some [...]

16. Phoebe says:

Yum! I just made these and they are amazing! I sprinkled them with a combination of standard sesame seeds, black sesaeme seeds and some togarashi (japanese seven spice). Great finger food to go with a bowl of freshly cooked edamame!

17. tab says:

You are a genius. I made these for my 5 year old daughter and she begged me for more. On the second batch I made myself some with vinegar instead of water and they were amazing! Thanks!