Dave and I, after much painful trial and error, have declared Sundays “socializing-free zones,” which means that except for major occasions – like a friend’s recent wedding – we don’t make plans with other humans on Sundays. It’s our day to sleep late, do laundry, cook for the week, taunt the cat about being a skinny-ass Zombie beast, read books, take a nap, sit in the yard and think about nothing… or scrap all of that and just lie in bed with the A/C cranked while watching an entire season of a TV show on DVD.
Once the chores are done, we reward ourselves with Dinner & A Movie™. Our dining room table faces the TV, so we dim the lights and sit side-by-side, just like the Alamo Drafthouse, only Paleo-Zone-friendly and free.
This week, we had Chicken Coconut Curry and watched the Judd Apatow/Will Ferrell film Step Brothers. I give the dinner 4 stars; my compliments to the cook (me!). The movie gets 4 stars for making me laugh out loud so many times, and 1 star for grossing me out just as frequently.
Why this movie is AWESOME:
1. The clip above: “I haven’t had a carb since 2004.”
2. It stars Adam Scott as Derek, the evil brother, who forces his family to sing GNR’s “Sweet Child O’ Mine” in a cappella 4-part harmony. [I should mention that I’m currently a little Adam-mad because we just watched the entire first season of “Party Down,” a painfully brutal and funny comedy starring Adam S. Watch it on Roku or DVD!]
3. Will. Ferrell.
4. Awkward hugging, awkward kissing, awkward stupidity
5. The brothers wear tuxedos and sneakers to a job interview, which they insist on attending and conducting together.
6. Cameo appearance by Seth Rogan
Chicken Coconut Curry
Serves 2-4 | Prep 15 minutes | Cook 20 minutes | Whole30 compliant
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14.5 ounce) can coconut milk
1 tablespoon fish sauce (Red Boat is paleo friendly!)
1 large Japanese eggplant, cut into strips
1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
12 ounces green beans, trimmed
1 jalapeño pepper, sliced into rings
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into very thin slices
a handful fresh basil leaves
1. In a small bowl, combine salt, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, chili powder, turmeric, ginger, and cloves. Blend with a fork and set aside.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat, about 2 minutes. Add onion and cook until softened, about 7-10 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, and spice blend to the onions and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Pour the coconut milk and fish sauce into the pan and stir well to combine. Add the eggplant, bell pepper, green beans, jalapeño, and chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the vegetables are almost tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Add the basil leaves, then cook uncovered to let the sauce thicken a bit, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Place in serving bowls and sprinkle with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Awesome on a bed of Oven-Roasted Cauliflower Rice.
14 Responses to “Dinner and a Movie™: Step Brothers and Chicken Coconut Curry”
Post a comment
Like what you've read? Got something to say? Lay it on me!