The Run for the Peanut Butter Bars on Sunday morning was a sweet success. Big love to my friends who joined me in the silliness. Y’all are best-quality humans.
(And a big hug to Randal, Carla, and Bonita for cranking out 12 burpees with me to make sure we stayed on track for the 100 Day Burpee Challenge.)
And for those of you who decided to sleep in (which is not a bad thing to do on a steamy Sunday morning), here’s the recipe for the treat that got us all out to the hike and bike trail:
PEANUT BUTTER BARS
1/3 box graham crackers
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
12 oz. chocolate chips
optional: sea salt to sprinkle on the top
1. Crush graham crackers to dust in a food processor. Mix with cinnamon and powdered sugar; set aside.
2. Melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Add vanilla. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter ’til it’s melted and mixture is smooth.
3. Add peanut butter mixture to dry ingredients. Stir. A lot. Until it makes a very stiff dough.
4. Spread into a 9X13 pan.
5. Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke on high for 1 minute. Stir, then microwave again until melted, about 30 seconds.
6. Spread melted chocolate on to of peanut butter layer. Refrigerate for 1 hour before cutting. If you’re using the sea salt on top, let the pan cool at room temp for about 10 minutes before sprinkling with the sea salt, then refrigerate.
NOTE: They’re a lot easier to cut if you let them warm up to room temp for about 10 minutes before cutting.
- reduced fat butter
- Laura Scudder’s all-natural reduced-fat peanut butter
- regular-flavor reduced-fat graham crackers
Tags: party foods
6 Responses to “The Run for the Peanut Butter Bars”
Post a comment
Like what you've read? Got something to say? Lay it on me!