Fresh, Tasty, Easy Zone-Friendly Lunch

Last night, around 9:00 p.m., I cobbled together a lunch for today that turned out to be totally kickass. My lunch RULED!

This is a 3-block Zone meal. You can easily make it four blocks by adding a more protein and fat. If you’re a giant human and get to eat 5 blocks at a meal, f*ck you. (I’m bitter today about being “petite.”)

The menu:

• Taco Turkey Salad w/ Lime Cabbage Slaw
  • Sauteed Spicy Zucchini
  • Blueberries & Almonds

You need:

• 1 lb. Ground Turkey
  • Cabbage
  • Lime
  • Zucchini
  • Blueberries
  • Almonds

You want:

How to make it:
(This makes one serving.)

Taco Turkey: Heat some fat in a pan and sauté ground turkey with some cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt & pepper. (You can also just use commercial taco seasoning.) One pound of turkey makes enough for 2-3 servings.

Lime Cabbage Slaw: Slice cabbage really thin and toss 2 cups of the cabbage with the juice of one lime. Sprinkle generously with salt & pepper. Toss well and let it sit for, like, 10 minutes. If you’d like, you can add some olive oil, too… or chopped olives.

Zucchini: Slice zucchini. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Toss in the zucchini; sprinkle with garlic powder and Penzeys Special Seasoned Salt. Cook to desired squishiness.

Strawberries: Wash, slice, sprinkle with Splenda, and chill

Assemble it:

• Pile the Lime Slaw on a plate and top it with 3 oz. of the Taco Turkey. Add more pepper… and maybe some avocado and olives.
  • Round our your awesome Zone meal with 1 cup of the zucchini, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 9 almonds.

Eat. Yummmmmmmmm.

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “Fresh, Tasty, Easy Zone-Friendly Lunch”

1. Cari says:

I don't really care for raw or steamed zucchini… think having it sauteed will change my mind?

2. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Cari –> Maybe? I mean, it still still taste like the zucchini. The thing that's nice about sauteeing it with fat is that it has a little more flavor and isn't quite so watery and bland. I've also seen recipes for zucchini sliced into very thin pieces like spaghetti and quickly stir-fried in hot fat — I wonder if you would like that? Let me know if you experiment and how it goes!

3. Cari says:

I'll give it a shot! Thanks for so many awesome recipes (your site is really the only one I go-to for my meals!)

4. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Cari –> Let me know what you think. I've got my fingers crossed!

5. the teej. says:

Hi Melissa! I've practically lived off your recipes since I went paleo for the new year, and I thought I'd pop out of the wood-lurk (tee-hee) with a yummy taco suggestion I discovered tonight – half a green pepper makes a bangin' paleo taco shell. I detest raw green pepper, so I covered it in a touch of oil and adobo seasoning and put it on the broiler, then stuffed it with homemade salsa and turkey taco goodness. C'est incroyable.
    P.S. I love your blog!

6. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Teej –> That is a GENIUS idea. Love it! I wonder how it would be with a roasted poblano… or a red pepper… hmmm… I need to experiment with that idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

7. Katie says:

Thank you so much for this recipe (and many others, I'm still working my way through the Dino-chow listings); turkey taco meat (topped with some guacamole for fat) on a bed of cabbage slaw has become my favorite lunch ever. I have the most ridiculous girly-crush on you ever. Yours is the only paleo food blog with flavor profiles that indicate you had an understanding of cooking prior to cleaning up your diet, and I am loving it!

8. Katie says:

Sorry to double post, but that sounded a little mean. I mean, there are other good blogs; yours just suits my princess on a pauper's salary palate. <3

9. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Katie –> Hooray! Maybe I'll make the turkey taco salad for lunch tomorrow, and then it will be like we're having lunch together!

Thanks so much for the compliments — I really appreciate it!