You can fuss around with recipes from Thai cookbooks to make the sauce more authentic, but if you just want to eat something delicious, and it needs to be ready to shovel into your pie hole as quickly as possible, this recipe will do it. Very tastily. This recipe will take you from just-walked-in-the-door-sweaty to eating-and-happy in about 10 minutes.
[Thanks to Thai Food Blog for the photo.]
Fastest/Easiest/Tastiest EVER Thai Beef with Basil
The basic ingredients:
- steamed green beans (defrosted frozen French cut work great)
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- a lime
- coconut aminos or homemade substitute
1. Heat some fat in a pan over medium-high. I like coconut oil.
2. Sprinkle ground beef with salt and pepper, then brown in the pan.
3. When the meat is browned, add green beans, basil leaves, and the crushed garlic (If you don’t have fresh garlic, use garlic powder or leave it out).
4. When everything is cooked the way you like it, add a few splashes of coconut aminos and stir-fry another minute.
5. Pile on a plate and squeeze the lime juice over the top.
You can earn bonus points by garnishing with a few curls of carrot (scrape a carrot with a veg peeler) or a sprinkling of finely-chopped scallions.
Now… make it fancy:
To make it spicy: Add some chili-garlic paste.
To add more veg: Toss slices of japanese eggplant into the stir-fry step.
To make it sweeter: Replace green beans with snow peas or snap peas.
To make it souper: Throw it in a bowl and add beef broth and chopped fresh scallions.
To make it seem exotic: Cut a hard-boiled egg in half and use as garnish on the plate. (Also delicious dropped into the soup version.)
To incorporate more healthy fats: Sprinkle the top with crushed nuts or add more coconut oil to the stir-fry step.
To make it fusion: Skip the nuts and add fat with slices of fresh avocado.
To make it a complete meal: Add fruit for dessert. Strawberries, raspberries, and pineapple are a great complement.
18 Responses to “Fastest/Easiest/Tastiest EVER Thai Beef with Basil”
Post a comment
Like what you've read? Got something to say? Lay it on me!