Fastest/Easiest/Tastiest EVER Thai Beef with Basil

You can fuss around with recipes from Thai cookbooks to make the sauce more authentic, but if you just want to eat something delicious, and it needs to be ready to shovel into your pie hole as quickly as possible, this recipe will do it. Very tastily. This recipe will take you from just-walked-in-the-door-sweaty to eating-and-happy in about 10 minutes.

[Thanks to Thai Food Blog for the photo.]

Fastest/Easiest/Tastiest EVER Thai Beef with Basil

The basic ingredients:

• steamed green beans (defrosted frozen French cut work great)
  • 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
  • a handful of fresh basil leaves
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • a lime
  • coconut aminos or homemade substitute

Get cooking:
1. Heat some fat in a pan over medium-high. I like coconut oil.

2. Sprinkle ground beef with salt and pepper, then brown in the pan.

3. When the meat is browned, add green beans, basil leaves, and the crushed garlic (If you don’t have fresh garlic, use garlic powder or leave it out).

4. When everything is cooked the way you like it, add a few splashes of coconut aminos and stir-fry another minute.

5. Pile on a plate and squeeze the lime juice over the top.

You can earn bonus points by garnishing with a few curls of carrot (scrape a carrot with a veg peeler) or a sprinkling of finely-chopped scallions.

Now… make it fancy:

To make it spicy: Add some chili-garlic paste.

To add more veg: Toss slices of japanese eggplant into the stir-fry step.

To make it sweeter: Replace green beans with snow peas or snap peas.

To make it souper: Throw it in a bowl and add beef broth and chopped fresh scallions.

To make it seem exotic: Cut a hard-boiled egg in half and use as garnish on the plate. (Also delicious dropped into the soup version.)

To incorporate more healthy fats: Sprinkle the top with crushed nuts or add more coconut oil to the stir-fry step.

To make it fusion: Skip the nuts and add fat with slices of fresh avocado.

To make it a complete meal: Add fruit for dessert. Strawberries, raspberries, and pineapple are a great complement.

Tags: , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Fastest/Easiest/Tastiest EVER Thai Beef with Basil”

1. Marc Majcher says:

I just made this with some hot rooster sauce and ground bison from Central Market, and it was super tasty. More!

2. Jessica says:

I made this tonight and it was a big hit! The only change I made was to whisk up a quick sauce of coconut milk, Thai red curry paste, fish sauce, and tamari. I just made a small amount of sauce, enough for flavor but not enough to soupify, and stir-fried it in at the end. Yum! Thanks for posting this.

• abby says:

Can you provide amounts for your sauce? Sounds good and I am not really a fly by the seat of your pants cook so would not do well with estimates.

3. Melissa 'Melicious' Joulwan says:

Delish! Thanks for sharing, Jessica.

4. Sonya says:

Oh so good! Will definitely be making this again! :D

5. Jed says:

This is great with moose. But then again what isn’t.

6. Kay says:

Great recipe! I make it often. :)

7. STaylor says:

I had a pound of grassfed ground beef calling my name, and I usually don’t really like ground beef unless in burger form with plenty of accouterment. I decided to see what recipes you had, and was pleasantly surprised to realize I had all these ingredients on hand! It is SO GOOD that I just grabbed my iPhone to comment while I’m eating. Amazing. I love it. Wouldn’t change a thing, except maybe be a bit more generous on the basil front next time – it’s growing like crazy in the garden! Thank you!

8. KP says:

Another home run! I always seem to fall of the wagon when I get home from work and don’t have the energy to cook. This was so simple and amazingly flavorful. Can’t wait to play with some of the variations.

9. Sonya says:

It’s been over a year and I’m still loving this recipe!

Sending a friend with thyroid issues over here to learn from you about how to take care of herself better. :)

Yay you! Thanks for blogging!

10. Mari says:

So, I made this. Added mushrooms, snow peas, chili paste, beef broth, boiled eggs, carrot slivers and green onions… YUMMOOOOO!!!

Also while browning the beef I added my sofrito (blend of red, yellow, orange, green peppers, onions, and garlic my Cuban mother uses to cook everything in)

So Good!! Thanks for all the recipes!! I want MORE!!!

11. Shelda says:

Oh, yum!! I had red pepper, green beans, and bok choy. Steamed them first, then sauteed the beef, and used Jessica’s coconut milk sauce. Fabulous. Thanks for the recipe!

12. Cara says:

Just made this for a quick dinner after work and it was delicious!

13. Jennifer says:

This was SO good and easy, thank you so much for sharing your brilliance with the www. I made tonight & served over cauliflower “rice” that I learned from your amazing herb rice salad recipe (just put salt, olive oil and lime instead of the lemon). Thank you, thank you, thank you!!